100 Miles on New Top End and have a few Questions

Jerm

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Had the top end freshened up on my 71 XS1B by Dan Watson of Watson Racing Services because it had 33,000 miles on it. Runs and sounds better than any other XS I have owned. Carbs are beautiful and have the proper Mikuni jets for a 71. Put 100 miles on it to break it in as suggested here on the forum by getting it up to 40 in 4th and rolling on the throttle up to 50, dropping back down to 40 and rolling back up to 50. Parked it and dropped the oil to find it contaminated with fuel, I think. I knew aluminum flakes would be in the oil as the old cam chain guide was shot and it will take a while to flush them out. I have new manual petcocks on the tank. They do not leak when shut off. I have tested it two times by pulling the tank and sitting it on cardboard for a few days. There are no stains from fuel leaking and no scent of fuel on the cardboard. I am confident they are functioning properly. The only other thing I could think of is fuel overflowing when the petcocks are on and the bike is running down the road because of an improper float height. I have checked the float height twice and it is right at 25mm. Could my spark plugs look as good as they do in the picture after 100 miles of riding if this were the case? I should also say that after 100 miles on a full tank my fuel level is sitting right below the badge indentation when I look inside. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 118
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 142
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 128
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
The way I used to read plugs was to determine idle mix quality by examining the ring at the base of the threads. Yours are quite black sooted, which I would interpret as too much fuel during idle.

I don't trust mechanical float settings as the final say-so, and do two other things to confirm.

1. Drain the bowl(s) into a clear calibrated 50ml beaker. A fuel volume of 35-40cc works for me.
2. Do the "clear tube method". Search the forum for that...

With the new fuels being lead free, and clocked full of ethenol, you may have to ride anothe hundred miles to get a good read..
But as they look now, they look fine.

Back