18" SR500 Drum mag on XS650

jdizon

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up an 18" SR500 Drum mag on eBay and wanted to find out the best route to adapt to my hardtailed xs650 frame. The wheel I got is bare and will need new bearings, sprocket, axle etc.. Any one know if there are bearings that will fit to the SR mag where I can use my stock 20mm XS axle without having to put a shim on the SR 176mm axle?

Anyone that has done this conversion or have input on best approach would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Johann

The problem with the SR wheels is the sprocket. They use a much larger sprocket than a 650, something like a 42 or 44T, and it's more of a "ring", not a full plate. I don't think you can mount a 30 to 34T sprocket, it's diameter is too small to fit the large mounting bolt diameter on these wheels.

I might be able to get around the sprocket hurdle by getting a custom one made from Rebel Gears http://rebelgears.com/customsprockets.html

Any suggestions on the bearings and axle?

The problem with the SR wheels is the sprocket. They use a much larger sprocket than a 650, something like a 42 or 44T, and it's more of a "ring", not a full plate. I don't think you can mount a 30 to 34T sprocket, it's diameter is too small to fit the large mounting bolt diameter on these wheels.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. The sprocket size the 650 runs (and needs), 30 to 34 teeth, won't fit on an SR wheel.

Have you contacted rebel on the number of the they can make. 5twins makes a valid point ring and bolt circle are a limiting factor. Tell us your findings would like to know.

I think you can go as low as 40 teeth on the SR wheel. I'm running a 40-tooth sprocket on my bike now and it's great for around town and the occasional freeway blast. If you are planning a lot of freeway riding then you may want something smaller.

If it is a chopper then you could use a jack shaft type of intermediate step up drive to run the larger rear SR sprocket. IOW, yes, you could possibly get it to work. (or) No, it won't work.

As mrriggs notes the best you can do is about 40 on the back and 18 on the front. It'll be a quick bike but not a highway bike.

Heard back from Rebel Gears today and the smallest they can go with sprocket is a 38T.

In terms of axle and bearings, anyone know what bearings will work for xs650 20mm axle? Or shimming the sr500 axle the way to go?

Old thread I know, but did you ever get this sr500 mag wheel working? I got two mags sr500 front 19" and 18" rear that I plan on using on my next build.. Is there something to look out for?

Would consider being part of a group sprocket buy I have an sr500 18 mag that needs a sprocket........

if thats whats needed to actually get this adapted to a xs650 im in for the Group buy aswell. What about the front Wheel are there any issues there?

Back