1975 XS650 gets a new life...

shotgunjoe

XS650 Hunter
Reaction score
I was browsing OfferUp, and came across an ad for "motorcycle frame - $100"

I immediately knew it was an xs650. I made an appointment to see the mess I was in for. When I arrived I was greeted by an older woman and her husband. She informed me that the bike in question was her brothers, and that he had recently passed away. I have a feeling he was likely a member here.

The bike was missing several parts, not the least of which, was the engine. When she informed me that there was a title, I nearly lost my cool. A titled 75, for $100, even missing the engine I scored big time.

I was sad to hear of his passing. She also told me about another bike he had done a full restoration on, it was a 1980. So if anyone has any clue who this could be, from near Seattle, I'd love to know more about the man who's bike I now own.

This won't be a restoration, it would cost too much for me...

I don't have a truck, so the attached picture is how I got it home.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_20190427_145011.jpg

..lived in Tacoma many yrs ago.... Lincoln High.. rah rah. Was out there a coupe yrs back... the traffic.. the truck eat'n potholes… did that " Back Fire " night in Seattle.
You have a lot of fun.. adventures to bring the bike back.. post photos.. :)

Hey, shotgun!
I recall a road trip to Boston in the early '80s, transporting a friend's vintage Norton Commando, disassembled, in similar fashion. My '73 LTD (the Green Turd) just thought we had a lot of luggage... :whistle:
It looks like you've got a blank canvas on your hands, and (almost) the same situation I'm in with "The Basketcase" (except mine was about 99% complete). But given the condition of my '75, resto-mod will be the way for me to go. Good luck with your build, and keep us updated with you progress (pictures, lots of pictures. We like pictures. ( 'Cuz we're nosy!) :laugh:

I don't have any updated pictures yet, but I am making a little bit of progress. I have acquired an engine, and ordered a wallet crushing number of parts.

I may have made a minor mistake though, I had remembered a few people raving about the mike's carbs, and went ahead and ordered them. After doing some searching, I found nothing but negative things about them, which worries me a little, but not a lot. Mine look great internally compared to MrRiggs set did, if they don't work it will be a sad loss to my bank account, but a lesson learned. I also have a set of the EX500 carbs to play with, a set of BS34 carbs from an xs1100 I could turn into a pair for the xs650, and a set of VM33 smoothbore carbs I may do the same with.

I have the parts to build a PMA alternator on the way. I will be making my own stator bracket from 6061. The engine didn't come with an alternator. A Pamco is on the way, enough wire to build a custom wire harness (mine was already missing), new lights all around, and a lithium anti-gravity battery.

The forks that came with the bike were in rough shape...so I wont be using them. It was cheaper to do a conversion. I found a set of 36mm XJ650R Seca forks for a good price, and the use the same neck bearings, so new tapered bearings will be going in and they bolt directly on the frame. The only real problem is that the axle is 15mm instead of 17mm, which I will fix on the Mill by opening the holes in the lowers a little bit, theres plenty of material there, and reduction in strength will be negligible. I will have to internally lower them though, since they are about 2 inches longer than the stock forks, and sliding them up only nets about an inch before they will hit the bars, I can make the damper spacer though, so no big deal. I was planning on putting new seals and oil in them anyway. A set of FZR600 front brakes will be going on with caliper adapters which I will also make.

Th stock seat in in decent enough shape to reuse so that will go back on, although I do need a seat lock, since that is also missing. ( I have an ad in the classifieds for this) New handlebars are also coming, since it came with some drop down cafe bars that I'm not too keen on. I may have to change out the stock front fender, cause its too nice to cut up to use with the new forks. I got a rear fender thats in rough shape, but I will reuse for now.

Thats about it for now. I will take pictures the next time I have access to it. It is currently living in my buddies barn, since I don't have a garage right now.

I was sad to hear of his passing. She also told me about another bike he had done a full restoration on, it was a 1980. So if anyone has any clue who this could be, from near Seattle, I'd love to know more about the man who's bike I now own.
Like you, I strongly value the heritage and previous ownership of the bikes I aquire.
The people are as important as the machine.
Please share any info you get on the history of this particular XS650.

I forgot to take pictures during the machining, but I do have one of the finished product.

So I took the 36mm XJ650 Seca forks into the shop today, and bored the axle holes over size to fit the XS650 axle. For those familiar, the setup took forever, and the actual machining took only a few minutes. Job done, and now I have a set of 36mm forks that look stock and bolt on! I'm super stoked to have made this progress.

Next, I need to wait for the new seals to arrive, and disassemble so I can make some damper spacers.

Below is with the new 17mm axle installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_162256.jpg
    IMG_20190513_162256.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 193
What else of the XJ650RJ are you thinking of using ? triple clamps? Very cool oversize headlight ?
I am definitely using the triple clamps for now, they make the install easier and I already have them, though I MAY get a set of triples off of the yx600 radian, they look like the exact same triples except the risers are removable, unlike the xj650rj.

I probably won't be using any other parts though. The headlight will be aftermarket, I prefer a smaller headlight myself.

I am definitely using the triple clamps for now, they make the install easier and I already have them, though I MAY get a set of triples off of the yx600 radian, they look like the exact same triples except the risers are removable, unlike the xj650rj.
Great ideas and a very nice sounding project XS650.
Cheers, -RT
Vancouver

I started toolpathing my stator bracket today, but mastercam kept crashing, I didn't make much headway. I also started making a broach to cut the correct size keyway on my banshee flywheel.

Both of these will be done by next week, if all goes well.

Got a large pile of packages from USPS and FedEx today too. I will be out of town for the weekend, but I'm gonna go test fit the forks one last time on Sunday, then it's time for disassmbly, rebuild, shortening and paint.

More soon, with pics!

Don't mind the mess...it's a loaner garage, lol.

I installed the new tapered neck bearings on the 650 Seca front-end a test fit. The axle pictured is the xs650 17mm.

I tried removing the front wheel bearings but they are putting up a good fight...

I ended my day when I managed to put a hole in my hand using a sledgehammer, lol.

IMG_20190519_122655.jpg
IMG_20190519_122722.jpg
IMG_20190519_122717.jpg

OUCH! Careful, you only get two of those.

Pete

I actually WAS being careful. The pipe is was using to tap the lower neck bearing on turned out to be copper...it was very old and found it in my friends barn. It 'shrunk' and got stuck. The cold chisel I used to cut it off slipped, and WHACK! Top of stem meets web of the thumb meets sledgehammer, equals hole.

I bought a set of aluminum headlight brackets/ears, and they are junk, so back they go and I will be machining my own.

Back