1979 CS 650 frame

Badracing

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the forum. Are the frames different on the 79 650 and 750? The reason I am asking is, i am getting a 79 xs650 and can get a 750 for parts. Thanks in advance! Bob

The XS650 is a twin dating back to 1969. The XS750 is a triple 1976-1979. Other than a few minor parts (front wheel, speedo, switchgear, mirrors), they aren't compatible. If the XS750 is free to your door, it might be OK if you have that much space. If it's more than free, best left where it is. There was a TX750 1973 & 74. It won't have much for you either, but it's worth a bit more than free depending upon condition.
Welcome aboard. Show us what you have.

The TX750 twin has much more to offer a 650. The wheels are a direct swap and the rear has a bigger brake drum. The swingarm is also a direct swap and has larger diameter tubes so is much stiffer. I have the wheels on one of mine, the swingarms on both .....

full

NMtQi5W.jpg

The speedo drive is also very nice, raw alloy so it can be polished up, not painted black .....

full

Same goes for the left disc mounting hole cover, raw alloy as opposed to plastic or stamped tin .....

full

full

Thanks for the info. I am picking up the 650 tomorrow. I have only seen a few pictures of it but what I am getting it for will be well worth it. I am sure I will be needing your help with this project and will post some pictures when I get it. Thanks for your responses, I think I'm really going to like this forum. Bob

View attachment 202977 View attachment 202977 this is the 750 xs that I would use for parts and it is the only picture of it. Not sure if it's a twin or triple.
Yep. Like Bob says, it's a triple. Don't buy it. There isn't enough in parts to make it worthy of purchase. They aren't bad bikes, but no one wants them, especially the Specials. Very little has use on your bike.

A parts bike is invaluable if it's another xs650.
Post a pic of your '79 when you get a chance as there were three models, if I'm not mistaken, produced that year and it could add more direction for comment......
Welcome aboard.

as there were three models, if I'm not mistaken, produced that year
CORRECT. In 1979 there were the XS650SF (Special), the XS6502F (Special II), and the more rare but cherished XS650F (standard). We can ID yours with a picture and/or VIN#. The differences have been discussed on this forum numerous times.

Back