1980 35mm damper rod and 1" spacer question

jhgilley65

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible (of course it is)..I have this set up wrong? This is a hhb spacer with the oil flow holes lined up like Hugh advises. Why is there a space here (circled)??. Should I slide it up and drill new holes? Fill the gap with a spacer? Don't worry about the holes lining up? Or D....none of the above. Thoughts??

Attachments

• 2016-02-28 09.22.11.jpg
    2016-02-28 09.22.11.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 211
The spacer should be slid up. As you have it now, you will get more than 1" of lowering. You will get the spacer + that space. The spacer probably wouldn't stay long where you have it anyway. With the fork spring pushing down on the damper rod, it would slide the spacer up tight and fill that space eventually. I guess you will have to drill a new hole for the oil port if what's on there doesn't line up.

Thanks for the response. If I grind 2.5mm off the spacer the oil port will be exposed once I slide it up tight. Think that is what I will do. Thanks again.

Yep. You need to notch it out. You could do it with a Dremel or simply a hacksaw and needle file. I have the same setup and thats what i did. Much simpler than grinding the whole thing down.

Back