1980 xs650 not starting

jamesh23

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Well first off I picked up a 1980 xs650 special II. it needs a little tlc but supposedly it ran when I bought it, I have a clean title and all and i couldnt pass it up for $250. it has a dead battery which I already knew, is it possible to kick start the bike with the battery being dead? and there is hardly any tension on the kick start, it just goes down really easy, what are some things I can do to get this bike runnin? thanks.

It won't start without a battery, even kicking. If you kick it and it's in gear does the bike try to move forward?

As xjwmx said you need a fully charged good battery to get your bike to run.
If when you kick the bike over and it kicks to easy, the clutch is slipping. The kick start uses the clutch to turn the engine. Or are you holding the clutch lever in? To kick start your bike it needs to be in neutal and don't pull the clutch lever.

yes it will try to move if i try and kick start it in gear, and oh, ya i was holding the clutch in while trying to kick start it, I really dont know anything about bikes, this is my first one, I honestly dont even know how to start it... just how to drive one, thanks for all the help so far guys, ill be getting a battery today or tomorrow.

yes it will try to move if i try and kick start it in gear, and oh, ya i was holding the clutch in while trying to kick start it, I really dont know anything about bikes, this is my first one, I honestly dont even know how to start it... just how to drive one, thanks for all the help so far guys, ill be getting a battery today or tomorrow.

i think your best bet would be to order a manual and start reading it.
if you dont know how to start it its probably a good first move.
dont want to start it and hurt yourself "driving" it lol.
but seriously, i would start with a manual.

It wanting to move when you kick it in gear means the kicker is still connected to the shebang. Of course to start it you kick it in neutral, without any clutch of course. Not a bad idea to hold the front brake though. I would recommend all beginners take an MSF course. Not real expensive and might save your life. Pretty sure it did mine more than once. In some places it's even free if you're a minor. It's the easiest way to get your license too. And you get a discount on insurance for it sometimes.

Do you know anyone who rides? If so they might help you out on the basics. Perhaps the person you got it from.
Getting a repair manual should be the first thing you get now that you have the bike. I like the factory manuals. You can download them from several sites. biker.net is one. The Clymer or Hayne's books are good, they both have issues, some like one, some like the other. I have the factory books from 70 - 80. I also have the Clymer. I reference all of them. I might even get a Hayne's book too.
Ebay has the repair manuals and sometimes even an owners manual. There is one on there now. $19.95 buy it now price. Item #20044950058
The electric start you can pull the clutch or have it in neutral. It doesn't use the clutch to turn the engine. It goes right to the crankshaft. The electric start you need a fully charged good battery to use. If the battery is even a little bit weak, it won't start.
Once you get it running use a meter and check the battery voltage at idle and as you rev the engine.This will tell you if the charging system is working as it should.
At idle the voltage may be around 12-13 volts. As you rev it gently the voltage should rise to 14.5 volts by around 2000 rpms and if you rev to about 5000 rpm it should not go over 14.5 volts.
If you don't get these readings, tell us what you get, we will tell you what you need to do to fix it.

Last edited:
J, You dont drive a motorcycle, You ride it. You drive a car. Please take the MSF course, it may well save Your life. Good luck, and Welcome!:bike:

Back