1980 XS650 Bobber Build - Starts with electric starter, not kickstarter

onimoto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow riders,

I am in the final stages of a bobber hardtail build and I will say that this has been an experience. I've never worked on a bike to this level and need some help. I have replaced the clutch, ignition, PMA and carbs. I made sure that the kickstarter is installed properly (after several attempts).

Problem: Bike starts with electric starter, won't start from kickstarter

Question: What troubleshooting can I do to get this working? I have a capacitor to use, but the only way that I can start the bike now is using a battery and the electric starter. Even with the battery connected, I can't get it to kickstart. Can I remove the clutch cover to ensure that the clutch is not engaged?

The bike is in Neutral. The clutch is not engaged (as far as I can tell). The bike starts up right away with electric start. Kickstarter turns engine over and stays engaged.

Thanks for your help. I am new to all of this and have learned quite a bit for these forums.

Hello fellow riders,

I am in the final stages of a bobber hardtail build and I will say that this has been an experience. I've never worked on a bike to this level and need some help. I have replaced the clutch, ignition, PMA and carbs. I made sure that the kickstarter is installed properly (after several attempts).

Problem: Bike starts with electric starter, won't start from kickstarter

Question: What troubleshooting can I do to get this working? I have a capacitor to use, but the only way that I can start the bike now is using a battery and the electric starter. Even with the battery connected, I can't get it to kickstart. Can I remove the clutch cover to ensure that the clutch is not engaged?

The bike is in Neutral. The clutch is not engaged (as far as I can tell). The bike starts up right away with electric start. Kickstarter turns engine over and stays engaged.

Thanks for your help. I am new to all of this and have learned quite a bit for these forums.
Our XS' are a bit of an oddball in this respect... the kickstarter operates through the clutch. In other words, the clutch must be engaged for the kicker to operate.

Are you saying that when you use the kick starter that the engine does not turn over?
Or are you saying that the kick starter turns the engine over, but it won't start?
2 entirely different scenarios here.

I have recently been ONLY starting with the kick starter.
choke on
ignition OFF
throttle closed
Kick 2-3 times
choke on
Ignition ON
throttle closed
Kick 1-2 times and it starts, usually on the first try.

If bike is starting on starter, but the kick start cranks it over but won't start, then I would suspect that your carb is not tuned well?

Are you saying that when you use the kick starter that the engine does not turn over?
Or are you saying that the kick starter turns the engine over, but it won't start?
2 entirely different scenarios here.

I have recently been ONLY starting with the kick starter.
choke on
ignition OFF
throttle closed
Kick 2-3 times
choke on
Ignition ON
throttle closed
Kick 1-2 times and it starts, usually on the first try.

If bike is starting on starter, but the kick start cranks it over but won't start, then I would suspect that your carb is not tuned well?
Thanks for the reply:

I'll try that sequence. I can start electric starter and then if I immediately kickstart, it "almost" get there but won't start. I'll try your sequence and report back. Thanks again.

Good morning,

I am still not able to kickstart the bike, so I have a technical question. What is the relationship between the kickstarter and the clutch?

The kickstarter turns the engine and when I kick it; I hear a "whistling" sound (assuming it's the air in the engine escaping when the pistons are moving) when I kick it. It doesn't appear that I am I getting a spark.

The electric starter still starts up the engine on the first try. If I want kickstart only, does the starter wire need to be connected to anything if I am not using a solenoid/starter?

Thanks again for helping out a noob.

Thanks, guys. This led me to investigate more deeply and the clutch was the culprit. After replacing some broken parts, I had to add another layer to the clutch to get enough friction to operate properly. Now that the bike is running, it’s almost kickstarting, but still no go. It “almost” gets there but still doesn’t start. I am installing a new battery and will see if that helps. Once again, thanks for the guidance here.

Back