2 wiring questions

beaver

beaver
Reaction score
i got a 1983 XS650 hardtailed with a wiring nightmare. everything is wired right. i tested everything. rotor, stator, reg/rec are all good but i cant get a charge. after 30 mins of riding, my battery is dead. could a bad ground cause something?

and

the last 2 times i rode it 5 mins into the ride. my battery cables get hot and start burning. last time my seat caught on fire. no fun.

help me out.

Well aparrently everything is not wired right.
Lets start with a few basics. On the stator unplug it. Use your ohm meter to get a reading on the three white wires. Number them one, two and three. Test 1-2, 1-3 and 2-3. Test from the white wires to the body of the stator. Tell us the readings.
On the rotor, test ohms from slip ring to slip ring, slips rings to body of rotor. What are the readings.
On the reg/rect the only thing you can test are the diodes in the rectifier part. There are no tests for the regulator part.
You need to test them by numbering the three white wires. Start ohm testing by touching the red meter lead to the red wire, with the black touch all three white wires.
Now reverse the leads, black meter lead to the red wire, red lead to the whites.
Now do the same with the black wire.
What are the readings?
Now as far as the wiring, yes, a bad ground can keep things from working.
Can you make a wiring diagram showing how your stator and rotor are wired to your reg/rec?
Leo

Back