650 find

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
This 72 xs650 I found on Ebay for $850 + $400 shipping. I will certainly modify this to some café or street bob....

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 270
  • $_572.jpg
    $_572.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 200
  • $_573.jpg
    $_573.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 186
  • $_574.jpg
    $_574.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 186
Better do some research before you start buying parts. Does not look very 72 to me….

MrY,
I'm not sure if it's a '72 or not but the rear-keyed gas cap sez it's somewhere in the low '70s.
The serial # will tell you for sure.
You got this thing delivered and ridden it yet?
The photos tell me that when the dreaded PO cropped the front fender and installed the over-length fork tubes he transposed the fork sliders which got the front wheel in backwards.
This means amongst other things that the speedo will not show the speed and the odometer will roll backwards.
It's an easy fix. Take the brake lever off the bars so you can maneuver it without needing to open and re-bleed the brake hydraulics and undo the speedo cable.
Jack the bike up high enough that the fork tubes will pull out underneath.
Loosen the triple tree clamping bolts.
Slide the complete fork, fender and wheel assembly down and out of the 'trees.
Turn it all 180º and reassemble.
You can fix the extreme heavy steering that comes with extended forks at zero expense by removing the bars and sliding the fork tubes up through the 'trees so they look like goal posts.
OK, you're gonna swap out those ugly bars anyway so replacement bars is cost-neutral. Buying 'bar rearsets so that the bars will clear the upper ends of the fork tubes will be an extra cost.
Alternatively, save the rearsets cost and buy clip-on bars instead of ordinary bars and put them on the top ends of the fork tubes.

Last edited:
:) I am thinking it is not a '72 either, certainly the instrument cluster looks off, it kind of looks like a bit of a mixture of years.

That matters not as you are taking it in a different direction anyways, hope the title is right and the engine is good, have fun with your build.

Mostly looks 75 to me pipes gauges seat tank side covers rear fender, etc. So that's fine nothing wrong with a 75, for a custom it's actually better. But if he doesn't know the year, does he have a title??????????

The rear pegs are mounted to a tube hoop.
Earlier models had a stamped metal welded as a single post.
I doubt any po changed that.

Front wheel looks like 73; rotor bolted to the hub and a chrome steel rim. Unless it was respoked 73 is the only year they came like that. I mention this because that and extended tubes makes it likely it's hit something in it's past. Worth eyeballing that frame neck and triples are straight

OK MrYeats,
seems like your e-bay bargain was assembled by Dr. Frankenstein and he put the monster's legs on backwards.
But fear not, a few hours work will set the front end to rights and she'll be OK to test ride.
What's dodgy is the papers.
Didja get a clear title or will you be treated like dirt at the DMV?

It should look more like this when it is done

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 162
I am thinking that the basis may be a 1972, but for sure the instrument cluster is wrong as are a few other items. I had a '72 way back when and currently have a '73 in progress, other than colour and a couple of small things it is close to being the same bike. They came in one colour that year at least in North America, Google that year of XS and it will come up. Not a big deal in the long run, but as a heads up if the dealer/seller is telling you that this is a close to stock '72 he or she is wrong so there may be some hidden issues. I think your build will look good. Steve

MrY,
I'm not sure if it's a '72 or not but the rear-keyed gas cap sez it's somewhere in the low '70s.
The serial # will tell you for sure.
You got this thing delivered and ridden it yet?
The photos tell me that when the dreaded PO cropped the front fender and installed the over-length fork tubes he transposed the fork sliders which got the front wheel in backwards.
This means amongst other things that the speedo will not show the speed and the odometer will roll backwards.
It's an easy fix. Take the brake lever off the bars so you can maneuver it without needing to open and re-bleed the brake hydraulics and undo the speedo cable.
Jack the bike up high enough that the fork tubes will pull out underneath.
Loosen the triple tree clamping bolts.
Slide the complete fork, fender and wheel assembly down and out of the 'trees.
Turn it all 180º and reassemble.
You can fix the extreme heavy steering that comes with extended forks at zero expense by removing the bars and sliding the fork tubes up through the 'trees so they look like goal posts.
OK, you're gonna swap out those ugly bars anyway so replacement bars is cost-neutral. Buying 'bar rearsets so that the bars will clear the upper ends of the fork tubes will be an extra cost.
Alternatively, save the rearsets cost and buy clip-on bars instead of ordinary bars and put them on the top ends of the fork tubes.

I considered the goal post effect but really want to take this to a café style or street tracker. Haven't decided yet but I will sell these chopper forks and get some good 34mm's if that's what the tree is, I don't have it yet so I don't really know. Could be 35mm's if someone swapped out the tree.

Hi MrY,
those 'trees have to be 34mm to go with the fork tubes which also have to be 34mm to fit that pattern of fork slider.
Thing is, the 35mm forks are a better design and the forks will swap 'trees and all.
If you decide to go cafe or street tracker you've given up on making the bike look stock anyway, eh?

IMHO $1250 is quite a bit to pay for a bike that might be stolen uh,,, has an interesting past.

Well, certain things are developing.
Applied for Texas title.
I have replaced the mufflers with some nice Sportster cones. Kind of gives a Norton look.
I have a new front tire and moved the brake to the right side. I opted just to keep the forks that it came with and push them up a bit thru the tree..
Sport style bars.
In process of replacing the whole rear wheel.
I am using one I had respoked at Buchanans with stainless 8ga spokes and trued the wheel. New drum brake shoes, and new ContiTour tire.
It is 16" and from a 81 xs400.
The wheel fits fine but I will have the 650 axle milled down to the thickness of the 400 so it will fit thru the 400 hub. The length on the 650 is a few cm longer than the 400. Bushings will fit in the swing arm fork. Sprocket is 37t so it will gear the bike down a bit.:)
Got some nice xs750 shocks to go on it...It was destined to be a Frankenstein...

This is how I received the bike from ebay and Richmond Cycles in Richmond Michigan.

$_57.jpg

I will post the updated photo when I get her back on her feet.

Back