72 front brake caliper interchange?

madjap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey eggspurtz! I got my stock 72 650 front brake caliper and wondering if there are other years of these brake calipers that interchange. To clarify 'interchange', I mean swap with no mods, just take off one bike bolt in place on mine... Reason I'm asking is I'm having trouble finding a rebuild kit for my front caliper and thought maybe I could change it out...? As usual, thank you!

Hey eggspurtz! I got my stock 72 650 front brake caliper and wondering if there are other years of these brake calipers that interchange. To clarify 'interchange', I mean swap with no mods, just take off one bike bolt in place on mine... Reason I'm asking is I'm having trouble finding a rebuild kit for my front caliper and thought maybe I could change it out...? As usual, thank you!

Hi madjap,
my own experience is limited to '77 and newer calipers so I dunno if the in-front-mounted pre '77 caliper is a straight swap for the at-rear one or not.
But I betcha the innards are the same. You may not find a pure bolt-on swap but building a good one from donor parts should be possible.
And while you may not find a rebuild kit, take the parts and the dead seals to your local hydraulics store and see if they have a Goshen Tetraseal (it's a square section O-ring) that'll fit.

Back