79' hand controls

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey everyone needing a little help with my chopper build. i'm running a set of 79' hand controls and want to cut out a bunch of wires. i figured out the horn ( pink and brown ), headlight( yellow,green,black ), i take it the solid dk green and choc brown are for the signals 1 left + and 1 right + the blue with yellow stripe is power for the whole switch. so far am i correct ????

but the signals and the flasher has got me puzzled with all the extra wires. I'm not running a light checker,reserve lighting, or safety relay. so if some one can tell me what wires go where that would be great the ones that are left are brown with white stripe, blue,yellow w/red stripe,yellow w/brown stripe. thanks globalmaa

Last edited:
Kinda, you got some right.
The Dk Green and Chocolate are the turn signal, Dk gr Is right, choco is left. Brown/White wire feeds the Turnsignal switch.
On the turnsignals power is fed to the flasher on a brown wire. From the flasher to the switch on a Brown/white wire, from the switch on the DK GR and Choco. There is a red/yellow that goes to the canceler, There is a green yellow from the flasher to the camceler. If you chuck the canceler those wires will go nowhere. Just cap them off.
On the horn power is fed to the horn on a brown wire from the horn on the pink wire and is grounded by the push button.
The blue/yellow feds power to the headlight high/low switch, the high beam is the dark green, low beam is the yellow.
On the headlight switch you have the blue/yellow and the Dark green and yellow. these run the headlight. There are also a blue/green wire and a yellow/black, they go to the reserve lighting unit.
I think that covers your wires.
Do you have a Clymers book? The 79 diagram is on page 226/227.

" The Dk Green and Chocolate are the turn signal, Dk gr Is right, choco is left. Brown/White wire feeds the Turnsignal switch.
On the turnsignals power is fed to the flasher on a brown wire. From the flasher to the switch on a Brown/white wire, from the switch on the DK GR and Choco. There is a red/yellow that goes to the canceler, There is a green yellow from the flasher to the camceler. If you chuck the canceler those wires will go nowhere. Just cap them "

Thanks a bunch just to clarify brown feeds to the flasher from power supply( looks like the diagram says horn or front brake switch ), brown with white stripe from switch goes to brown and white from flasher . the only direct connect from flasher to switch is the brown/white wire.. 3rd prong on flasher is not used. thats'all that goes to the flasher correct?? dg green goes straight to the right ch brown goes straight to the left. discard and cap everything else. does this sound right???

Last edited:
Back