79 xs not charging

1979cafexs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK so i have a 1979 xs650 that's had a charging system problem since i bought it. It had an after market PMA kit on it but just never seemed to work properly, or at all for that matter. i recently installed the hughs hand built PMA kit on it but still no charge what so ever. the battery seems to be fine and will hold a healthy 12 volts but when the bike is running and is revved up to about 3000rpm nothing changes. i also noticed that wile playing around with it, every time that i disconnect the stator from the regulator the motors timing seems to advance slightly, but still no change in the voltage. the bike also has a complete aftermarket ignition system which is faulty as well at times. its a boyer electronic ignition system that misfires, sends spark to one cylinder, or wont work at all at times. the coil will also make a loud rapid ticking noise at times and it will also send a steady strong spark only when the motor is not running but still has power going to it. if anyone has any ideas about my problem or tips it would be much appreciated. i need to leave pretty soon and ride my bike about 1000 miles north so i cant have it shiting out on me lol

First things first, if you're not charging properly your ignition system isn't going to function properly. Have you gone through and checked all wiring and connections? If so you can wire the pma to its own battery and the ignition to its own battery and test for pma output then..

Back