'79 XS650 Project

Tom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Tom from Melbourne, Australia. I've had a number of bikes in the past, old and new but this is my first XS650 which I picked up as part of a package deal with a friend of mine. It's been sitting in a shed for a good decade (says the previous owner) and the condition matches that. My plan so far is to get it running, get everything working and register here in Australia. By that time, I should have a decent idea on the direction i want to go with for the bike.

She's a '79 that was imported from the states by the previous owner. The picture gives the impression that's there's not too much to do, and while there's nothing big/serious to do, there's lots of small parts needed which are adding up! I don't get as much time as i'd like working on the bike but i'll update this with my progress for those interested.

These include:
  • Swapping forks (previous owner put on the 34mm forks rather than the 35mm)
  • Steering head bearings (old ones are shot, tapered rollers will be going in)
  • Front indicators (need to buy and wire up)
  • Sort front wiring (no neutral light, high or low beam)
  • Front brake calliper needs to be rebuilt
  • Rebuild front master cylinder
  • General service - spark plugs, oil and both filters (oil was pretty bad and i'll do another oil change once it's running to clear out the debris)
  • New foot peg rubbers and mounting rubbers
  • New passenger pegs
  • Fix seat mounts
  • Swingarm bearings are toast - install new bronze ones
  • PO installed a PMA but seems to have old reg/rec unit - Sort (already started a thread for this)
  • Wiring is a nightmare, lots to fix here
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Carb bowl before rebuild...yuck!

IMG_6708.JPG

Previous owner installed a PMA system with a reg/rec that doesn't look like it's charge. I'll be going through it all this week with a VOM.

IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6822.JPG

Took the swingarm bolt out and it sheered right off at the thread. One more part to add to the list.

IMG_6768.JPG

Stripped the swingarm, removed the plastic bushings and replaced it with new bronze items and fresh satin black paint

IMG_6848.JPG IMG_6868.JPG

How she currently looks, with a new tank and the correct forks installed.

IMG_6846.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6823.JPG
    IMG_6823.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6842.JPG
    IMG_6842.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 186
Swingarm in, gold xring chain installed and rebuilt carbs and new uni filters in too.

It's coming together, slowly.

IMG_6887.JPG IMG_6886.JPG

Tom have you had any luck with determining if the charging system works? Have you had the flywheel off? Wondering about the mounting adaptor and if it has a crank pick-up for the ignition.

Tom have you had any luck with determining if the charging system works? Have you had the flywheel off? Wondering about the mounting adaptor and if it has a crank pick-up for the ignition.

Hi mate. Yep, i tested the rotor, reg/rec and it seems everything works and charges. Havn't had the flywheel off yet and didn't plan to as eveything works. Did you want some pics if i do?

Yes if you could pictures would be appreciated. Do you feel like the whole kaboodle is FZR 600? I tried to locate some comparisons on e-bay but the flywheels I'm seeing don't look like yours.

Got me a new seat! Nitroheads (JPN) which has come with a bracket that mounts to the XS650. Mounted images coming soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6962.JPG
    IMG_6962.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 137
It is coming along nicely. Are you going to smooth out the rear with a limp dick or Lucas style tail light?

Hello Tom. Welcome to this excellent forum, always good to have a fellow Aussie on board. Your motorcycle is shaping up nicely. I notice that you have changed the handlebars in the last picture. What type of replacement bars have you installed?

Hello Tom. Welcome to this excellent forum, always good to have a fellow Aussie on board. Your motorcycle is shaping up nicely. I notice that you have changed the handlebars in the last picture. What type of replacement bars have you installed?
Hey mate, thanks for the comments. They were from ThirdGear - https://www.thirdgear.com.au/british-style-handlebars-22-mm-chrome/

I want to give it a bit of a Triumph look and these bars suited, were cheap and have fast shippin!

Appreciate that Tom. They are a damn site cheaper than the CB and Z1 bars I have been considering. Will follow your project with interest.
Cheers

Looking good.
On the Lucas tail light, I've found that the flying brick Special rear fender with the lower, three hole license plate mount is almost a shoe in for the two lower Lucas mounting bolts and wiring, leaving only the upper bolt mount to be drilled. They'll sit about level with yer turn signals being mounted there for aesthetics sake.

Hi all. A lot has happened since i last posted here, all of which has made progress on the bike fairly slow. But, i'm happy to say that i've finally got the bike to the stage where it can go for it's roadworthy checks to get it legal to ride on the road.

Tapered roller bearings into the steering head:
IMG_6938.JPG

The points cam was quite pitted, one of many things that needed replacing:
IMG_6910.JPG

Never assume the switches work! All had to be resolderd which wasn't easy...
IMG_0853.jpg

Both front and rear calipers were rebuilt, as well as the rear brake master cylinder.
IMG_0910.jpg

A list of all the other things that i've done:

Oil filters (1x strainer, 1x filter)
New plugs
New gaskets on side cases
New throttle and clutch cables
New mid-rise handlebars
New passenger pegs and rider footrest rubber
New Shinko 712 tyres
New DID gold chain
Tapered roller steering head bearings
Brass swingarm bearings
Rebuilt front brake caliper (inc new piston)
Rebuilt rear brake caliper
Stainless brake lines front and back
New front brake master cylinder
Rebuilt rear brake master cylinder
Full rewire with 4 blade fuse block
Standard XS650 controls, all functional
Kickstart only but starter still bolted in
PMA (permanent magnetic alternator) set up
New battery
Rebuilt petcocks
Rebuilt carbs jetted to suit
Foam pod filters