A History Question

Does anyone know what the first bike was to have what we now know as standard controls - ie right foot (back brake) left foot (gears), etc.?

Thanks

I'd say to be "standard" it would also have to have a gear shift pattern with 1st at the bottom and clicking up for neutral and rest of the gears.

I can certainly remember folks asking "what's the gear pattern" when riding an unfamiliar bike "back in the day."

The govt mandated standard controls in 75. Before then shifters could be on either side. Same for bakes, throttles and clutch levers.

Much of the old stuff was foot-clutch suicide-shift, then Harley came out with the 'mousetrap' handclutch booster and foot-shift linkage option somewhere in the late `40s, early `50s. I'm sure that's not the first, but that's as far back as I know...

Much of the old stuff was foot-clutch suicide-shift, then Harley came out with the 'mousetrap' handclutch booster and foot-shift linkage option somewhere in the late `40s, early `50s. I'm sure that's not the first, but that's as far back as I know...

How 'bout old Beemers?

Don't know when or what the first bike was to have left shift/right brake but I clearly remember that Bultaco had a bike that could be converted to either. I want to say that was circa 1972. Jawa used to sell a bike which had a shifter that flipped back to become the kickstarter and it was on the left.

Back