a little oil on one of the plugs

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
i had a slight leak at my head on the stator side of the bike so i took the points cover off and the plug out and tightened to spec and that stopped the leak but when i looked at the plug be for putting it back in there was a little oil on it so i put a new plug in and ran it for about 15min around town and checked the plug when i got back and it was like new and the leak stopped so my question is should i be worry and if so what can i do?

thanks.:confused:

How many miles on it? I suppose it could happen but i have never won once head gasket starts leaking, thing is it can be hard to tell just where the leak is from. So you are saying the "inside" of the plug had black shiny oil on it? How long had it been sitting? Valve seals are prime culprits for oily plugs. But straight up? run it and see what happens, maybe think about a top job next winter.

miles are not known there was no tach on it when i got it and the PO dint know but it runs strong and the leak is not bad its very slow and only turns up after ride a good distance. i do regular checks on the plugs and this is the first ive seen it and it was only a spec or 2 of oil nothing substantial. it dont sit i ride at least 1 time a week to keep everything in order and like you said ill run it and get back to you with more info.

thanks gary..

It is a well accepted fact that you need to retorque the rubber back washers (replacement is better). They will weep after abit.
It has worked for me on the 4 I own (all have copper ,not brass now). The one the son owns and a friends.
Just a fact of life like the drive sprocket losing torque and leaking it happens.

the outer large acorns on the top of the head have rubber coated washers. most of us replace them with copper/brass washers. holds torque better.

Back