A ripp'n hardtail bobber build from a seized, desert rat: CALLING ALL DESTROYERS

Blorp a dorp that's fancy. My Prius is rapidly approaching the peoples car look. Duct tape and spray paint on the wounds. LOL A lot of miles on a rural mail route will do that to a car.

To gimmick or not to gimmick:

What to do with my seat. I know for sure i wont be using a springer seat.

seatsVerticalRibSolo2-1.jpg

In my search for options, i came across a fancy Air Ride Solo Seat Bracket from tc bros that on first glance i thought could be real cool. The idea is to put a small compressor on CALLING ALL DESTROYERS to automate the seat: when the bikes turns on the seat moves up into place, when the bike turns off the seat falls down into resting position, of course giving off that awesome pneumatic air release sound that hydraulics or air bags do. Definitely influenced by the low riders of southern california.

airride_2.jpg

But then i began to think about it more and more as my vision for this bike developed and i remembered seeing a certain television show with a custom bike for cadillac that used the gimmick of air bags instead of shocks animating the bike the same way i just described for this potential seat...hmmm, no thanks. Of course i could leave the air ride alone and use it how its intended but what's the fun in that.

what about a mono shock that sits right under the seat giving that floating seat appearance...

photo-8-1.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

or
5_SEAT-copy.jpg

...now we are cooking with gas-yes please!

cool writeup - I will be stealing your front mount idea....

go easy with the chemical bath - caustic solutions EAT aluminium, I would suggest a good degrease & bead blast instead. I have known guys to put alloy parts in high concentrate caustic baths & go to remove the part & viola - nothing left (except the steel bits).

thanks for the heads up. i was misinformed; what was described as a caustic solution mixed with heat ended up being a very hot bubble bath. apparently the epa standards here in california are pretty tough. though the solution cleaned the parts, they arent clean enough to eat off of. needless to say the engine parts will be dropped off for a healthy dose of bead blasting.

Last edited:
i already have most parts at the bead blaster but had to take the casing back home with me as they needed the shifter forks and guide removed. i was hoping they could just mask it off. sadly i was mistaken.

photo-1.jpg

the forks attach to the guide by slipping onto the guide and a bearing holding it in place. a (hard) cotter pin keeps the bearing from slipping out.

photo4-2.jpg

it wasnt rocket science taking this apart, however the bur created by one of the cotter pins created a bit of challenge...

notice each fork is numbered- 3,4,5
photo5-1.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo-2.jpg

shifter fork 3 is next to the guide bearing or furthest away from the end that sticks out of the case, fork 4 is in the middle and 5 is most near the guide end sicking out of the case...not sure if it matters but thats how it will be going back together

even prettier: bead blasting is the jam! i can now eat off most of my engine. cant wait to be able eat off the casing!

photo4-3.jpg

now with a completed vision for CALLING ALL DESTROYERS, my triple tree needed to lose a few pounds:

stock triple tree before the shave job and smothered in a history of fine california inland dirt:
photo6.jpg

triple tree shaved and blasted, ready for powder:
photo5-2.jpg

the difference is subtle but well worth the effort!

New to the Family:

So let me get this straight: a front and rear hub for $100 or front hub, rear hub, engine, forks, complete frame, tank and rims and tires for $400? ill go with the latter

'81 yamaha xs650 welcome to the family, i will be making a mono-shock cafe racer out of you one day, until then please get comfortable
photo8.jpg

5th Gear Overdrive:

The 5th gear overdrive has been mentioned in a few of the builds here on the forum and it came highly recommended to me from a talented builder so i decided to go ahead and do it. mikes xs has the part listed here: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-22.html#products

heres a bit of information about it:
this goes off topic but begins well: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411

a good build with lots of photos (takes for every to load though): http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140580&postcount=3

i couldnt find much on which actual install until i came across this build which helped a lot: http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=project&action=display&thread=4858&page=4

the transmission how it would be in the case; my finger pointing to the gear that needs to be swapped:
IMG_3096.jpg

theres a spring clip that keeps the gear in place, next a washer, then the gear can slip off no problem:
IMG_3098.jpg

5th gear overdrive left, stock gear right:
IMG_3101.jpg

all back together, my finger pointing to the 5th gear in place:
IMG_3103.jpg

easy breezy!

the engine is looking good. I'm on your heels with my engine tear down and rebuild.

Thanks for the info and photos.

avenue.

FINISHES:
ive gone round and round with different types of finished for CALLING ALL DESTROYERS. i know for sure i dont want to use brass anything-its a bit played out. but while at the powder coaters for my rims and cylinder heads, i had a chance to see examples of various gold powder. no offense to anyone that has or is planning to use it but its too plastic-y for my taste. rather than pc'ing gold, and with gold plating out of the question, it looks like ill be using gold anodize. but to get that real BLING look i had some parts polished first.

front and rear hub-polished and ready for anodize:

photo8-1.jpg

STUNT'n MAAAAAN!!!!

I'm not sure. Could be a 79 said the owner who didn't have a title. But I do know that it is a Special- good looking out. Thanks for the tip!

So what are you doing for a title? Just curious as i have an xs650 frame with no title too and still trying to figure the best route to get one.

I would think a title in California would be a very difficult proposition. I am just guessing as they have some tough standards on emmissions and guns laws. I have a perfectly good frame myself but have not done anything with it after checking around on whats involved towards securing a title.
jefft

Last edited:
Back