Advance rod 3rd pin

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ive been reading all I can find on the install of the advance rod and both the pamco unit and the e-advance adapter unit. Ive read about 3 pins. I only ever seen 2 pins. One in the advance adapter on right side and one that holds the magnet disk for the left side. Am I missing something?

Yes, there are only 2 pins on the advance rod, one at each end. That third pin sticks in a hole in the right end of the cam .....

AdvancePinHole2.jpg

It locks the advance unit or the Pamco e-advance replacement cap to the cam in the proper position.

I got problem solved, got another question. I see there are holes straight through the cam, will the pins only go in one side? or both? seems I could have timing off If I have them 180 off. thanks for your help.

cruzin,

There is a narrow part in the through hole so the pins will not go all the way through. Doesn't matter about being 180 different. It's a wasted spark system that fires both plugs at the same time. One cylinder will be on the compression stroke while the other is on the exhaust stroke.

Pete while your on line can you tell if it would hurt the advancer to enclose it in a different box. Mine is going to be right out in the open and wanted a different look to my box. I machined up a box for the advancer and hoping it wont hurt it to be enclosed in it. Ill include a picture. I made it so it will attach to my downtube between carbs and my elec box. Its made out of HDPE milk jugs.

cruzin,

There is a narrow part in the through hole so the pins will not go all the way through. Doesn't matter about being 180 different. It's a wasted spark system that fires both plugs at the same time. One cylinder will be on the compression stroke while the other is on the exhaust stroke.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 87
Cruzin,

That should be OK except for the possibility of overheating from the engine heat blowing right on it. Also, I'm not familiar with "HDPE" material. I presume it's non conductive?

Send me your mailing address I send you one. PM it if you wish. HDPE is the stuff milk jugs is made from.

Back