Advice... opinion

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Need new wiring harness for my 82' Special.... has anyone used the Mike's item... ?. I got one from Mike's for a different client's bike and it... kind of fit.. different colored wires.... Thanks 😎

Honestly, I'd be inclined to buy a genuine used one off eBay before I'd ever trust Mikes Chinese Emporium items on something like that.

There are lots of them listed (I just had a look) for mid $20's to mid $60's.

Mine ... looks ok... I got my spiffy omh meter out and the wires all check out.... perhaps a used one might be a good idea... I just checked Mike's for 2nd over piston kit.... on order.... their gasket kits are pricy... it's been a while since I order this stuff.... 😎

MikesXS sells .5 over piston kits.... $135 for Chinese pistons.... out of stock.

Cruzinimmage sells .5 over piston kits... $80 for Japanese pistons... In stock.

Hmmm... lemme think about that.... :umm:
Yeah... Cruz for the win.

Untitled1.png

1700074214404.png

Last edited:
Another thought on harnesses. I saved this link a long time ago and have ordered from them in the past. They have quality stuff, so if you find a couple connectors that are a bit bodgy looking,you can easily replace them.

https://www.vintageconnections.com/

I also like to give a quick wipe down along the harness with some isopropyl alcohol to clean them up. Contact/brake cleaner works if its really sticky but tends to create more of a milky mess sometimes.

Thanks for the piston lead... I plan on a compression test shortly.. bike ran fine... but now's the time to entertain a top end job... 21000 miles... years ago a buddy used a China piston kit on a 750 Triumph.... after100 miles it still smoked.... pulled the top end.... ... pitons were fine but the rings had much in common with rubber " O " rings.... we installed British rings and it cured the problem..... 😎

Thanks for the piston lead... I plan on a compression test shortly.. bike ran fine... but now's the time to entertain a top end job... 21000 miles... years ago a buddy used a China piston kit on a 750 Triumph.... after100 miles it still smoked.... pulled the top end.... ... pitons were fine but the rings had much in common with rubber " O " rings.... we installed British rings and it cured the problem..... 😎

Good review thread on Cruzinimage pistons. A nice set of comparison pics lowedown on first page.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/cheap-piston-sets-on-ebay.26971/

Honestly, I'd be inclined to buy a genuine used one off eBay before I'd ever trust Mikes Chinese Emporium items on something like that.

There are lots of them listed (I just had a look) for mid $20's to mid $60's.
Found a really nice one on ebay.... even the fuse box was in excellent shape.. was a bit more then Mike's... but I think it's worth it.. thanks.. 😎

Found a really nice one on ebay.... even the fuse box was in excellent shape.. was a bit more then Mike's... but I think it's worth it.. thanks.. 😎
I would agree that the used original is a good choice but the fuse box would worry me a bit. From personal experience and reports on this forum, it seems to be a weak link. The tabs become brittle and while they look fine, hitting a bump or pot-hole, they can crack or break off. Seems a lot of folks have switched to something that uses blade fuses as the old glass ones can also be problematic. Maybee you already knew this as you mentioned the fusebox specifically, but it might save someone some time stuck on the side of the road.

I would agree that the used original is a good choice but the fuse box would worry me a bit. From personal experience and reports on this forum, it seems to be a weak link. The tabs become brittle and while they look fine, hitting a bump or pot-hole, they can crack or break off. Seems a lot of folks have switched to something that uses blade fuses as the old glass ones can also be problematic. Maybee you already knew this as you mentioned the fusebox specifically, but it might save someone some time stuck on the side of the road.
My glass fuse box went into failure mode at about 30 years or so. I bought a reproduction. I’m running two reproduction fuse boxes. I guess it’s a toss up as to what fails first, the fuse boxes or me.

Need new wiring harness for my 82' Special.... has anyone um... ?. I got one from Mike's for a different client's bike and it... kind of fit.. different colored wires.... Thanks

Spend $60-70 and get the Chinese copy. TCI version. I spent weeks or months working around the 41 yr. wiring. FIXED. I got the Mikes $65 harness and reinstalled all the safety relays folks deleted.

Other merchants sell the same product. You are right about the different color wires. The old wires have faded.

Yeah, we all know the OEM is the best. OEM wiring was jerry rigged in my case and I have to many other toys to fix all the time.

Last edited:
The used w/harness is in excellent shape..... my old harness.... fuse clips when bad ... I cut and soldered a replacement glass fuse panel.... I saw they offer a plug in replacement but it also requires cut and solder..... I ordered the usually to have a hand once powder coated bits come back.... steering bearings swing arm bronze bushings... harness.... checking on a set of proper looking shocks from Hagon (sp?) ...have a pair on my Xs1... look correct.. has the metal cover... and they work. My exhaust headers have lite rust pits... hopefully I can elbow grease them away.... not going to drop $1000.oo for chrome ... Nooooo... 😎

Back