Advice

turkeyroll60

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the XS650 site but motivated to build one of my own. Thing is...... I have no, zero, experience fabricating and building motorcycles. I do have have a good understanding of engines and mechanics and I have one hell of a determined personality that I think would carry me through my first build. I totally respect the awesome builds I have seen here on this site and would be stoked to be able to pull off one of my own. So with that being said can anyone give me some words of advice? I'm opening up the forum and asking anyone to tell it like it is since there is only one way to get it started. What would the people with experience do if they were just starting out and knew what they know now?

I tinkered with shitty cars when I was younger and I wanted a project but couldn't afford the money or space for a car and had always wanted to own a bike. I had ridden them off and on when I was a kid, but never owned one. I figured I could take it apart in my apartment.

I bought a non-running bike that had been sitting for 15 years and took the thing apart. This was the first engine I had ever torn completely apart and rebuilt and the first time I had ever really done anything more than minor wiring (i.e. car stereos, toggle switches) in the electrical department.

It took me some time to get the pieces back together (Had to wait a lot for occasions when I had both time and money) but with patience, a good manual and great resources like this forum, I now have a bike that I understand how to work on and the satisfaction of knowing that I touched, inspected, serviced or replaced every nut and bolt on it.

I've ridden it every day I possibly could since I got it done, and I think that it was an amazing learning experience.

Mine is pretty close to stock. A few little changes to suit my tastes, but I really like the way the early models look from the factory.

Can't comment on the difficulty of radical fabrication, but if your motivated, patient and seek valuable advice I'm sure you can figure it out.

Welcome to the site!
I'd say go for it if you got the time and dime.
I do have one question. I didn't see a mention of riding it. :(
So are you just about the building or will this be your choice for a second vehicle?
None of my business really, but if you are looking for a cool bike to get you around these take regular maintenance to get any miles out of. Just saying....it could become a money pit.

I think you have started by reading posts on this site! Visit as many other sites as you can find.

Create a file to keep all the gems that you will inevitably pick up. Keep the data in group (e.g. a sub-file for engine, electrical, carburation etc.) so that you stand a chance of finding it later.
Have a Word document to keep web addresses but remember to add a brief description of what was on the site that interested you.

You will see many machines or elements of the machine that take your fancy. Copy the picture into a photo's file for future reference.
Whilst you may create something that has never been done before, more likely it will be an amalgam of things that other folk have done. Use their knowledge (with perhaps your own slant on it) rather than re-inventing the wheel.

If you don't know - ask. The only stupid question is the one you don't pose (although sometimes some do invite 'off message' responses!).

You will start to develop an idea of what it is you want to create, whether it be a pristine original machine or the wackiest bobber known to man.

For your first build I'd suggest that you keep it simple. You WILL make mistake or go down blind alleys as you learn. :(
Be realistic on what you want to achieve. Access to a lathe, mill and welding equipment means you can extend the envelope of what is possible to do yourself. You can, of course, pay people to do these things for you but that will quickly eat up a lot of dosh.

Take pictures. Sometime they are necessary to get the Foo Foo valve back together or just remind you of your starting point and let you see you are making progress.

When stripping components try to keep the sub assemblies together and where possible the associated fasteners. A selection of self sealing bags is good for this as are large plastic bins.

Set yourself objective to complete a task but still take your time. In my experience, most jobs take me far longer than anticipated. Don't knock yourself out with work - what you are creating should be fun and not a chore.

Try to work on one element at a time rater than have a dozen in various stages of progress.

If you a crating, say a street tracker or bobber, do a trial build first. It's a bit of a bug*er to find that you need to weld a bracket onto your freshly nickel plated frame. :eek:

When you have everything as you want it strip it down and do the final build. Replace old tired fasteners with new zinc plated or stainless items.

If you can't afford a professional paint job it is possible to get a perfectly acceptable finish using spray cans.
Even if you are using a pro to do the paint, do the initial surface preparation yourself. This save a few pennies although not many in my experience.
You can take the extra time needed fill, rub down, then keep re-filling and rubbing where necessary until you get the surface perfect.
It is worth the effort when you are rewarded with a mirror like finish.

There is a vast amount of information out there for you to tap into. There are also a lot of knowledgeable individuals that are happy to take the time to offer advice and help.
Use it and your first build can be a stunner! :thumbsup:

if your building a chop, do you know how to weld? what tools do you have?

and what ever you plan on spending money and time wise, double it.

but dont get discouraged. sometimes i walk into my garage and i smile looking at my bike completely torn apart and cant wait to ride and work on it again, but sometimes i walk in there and want to take a shit on it.
these bikes arnt bikes that you just gas up and go and change the oil every once and a while. there is constant attention that is needed. there comes a time where they can be reliable, but chances are that wont be after some decent work.

Would you consider doing a resto-mod? That would allow you to get your feet wet in the limited fabrication realm and various systems without committing to critical structural tasks in the absence of proper tutelage. That's the route I went, and while it has been frustrating, it has also been very rewarding. My bike, for instance, is essentially a rehabilitated '73 TX visually, but there are modified elements about her that make her uniquely mine.

In any case, you have come to the right place.

Welcome!

TC

My only suggestions are:

1. Get a manual

2. Ask questions, here and anywhere else you can think of.

3. Set aside some time for your project. Its so easy for other things to distract you and the next thing a 6 month project has been going on 3 years (Happened to me)

4. Did I say get a manual

5. Just have a go, if you get stuck or confused ask for help.

6. Enjoy yourself, dont stress about not getting things done on time, remember this is supposed to be fun.

Ride Safe
Nigel

Last edited:
I cant thank all of you enough and am grateful for the information you all were willing to provide. To answer some of the questions that were asked:

I plan on riding whatever it is I pick up. I have found a few good looking prospects in and around my area. One being a 72 XS650 that the seller says needs some TLC but will run. I like the fact that EBAY is filled with just about every part that I would need to do a restore and they are all within my budget.

I do not have any access to or experience with welding equipment. My first engine I took part in rebuilding was a main diesel generator that was about the size of a small bus that was aboard a coast guard cutter I served on in 1998. The next was a vt6503 cummins diesel engine that was taken completely down to the block and put back together. I miss working on engines and like the fact that a motorcycle is a little easier on the wallet than a car as well.

I am looking to make the dive full bore into my project after Christmas and I plan to keep all of you posted.

Thanks again all.:D

What ever you get; get it running and ride it till you are sure it is reliable THEN start modding.

i agree with gggGary, get a bike running then tear it apart and build something custom once you understand the systems and know how diagnose everything. Also take a mig welding class that helped me a lot.

One thing I might add is if you do or have someone else do any frame mods. Be sure you trust the welds to hold. Having even a minor frame break at 70 mph gets very interesting very quick.
Hell, at that speed there are no minor frame breaks.
The welds are a major safety factor, be sure they are right.
Leo

Back