Aftermarket triple tree questions

Spoonito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if there are any benefits (other than looks) to swap out to an aftermarket triple clamp / triple tree. I was looking at getting one but don't know know of it's worth it (should I be spending my money on more important things).

it's all about looks, there is no performance benefit. looks are pretty important, otherwise we would all be riding gsxr's.

Last edited:
Depends on what you are doing with the bike and how you intend to ride it.

There can be many benefits. More strength, less flex, better aftermarket parts support, more adjustments/tuneability, better braking options, more wheel size options, lots of stuff.

There is some function in getting aftermarket trees. Anything would mount the bars safer and more solid than a factory XS650 setup. I'm sure this is fixed after getting the solid riser mounts though. Also, the risers could be more spaced apart which would allow for some wider bars to fit if the need occurs.

My thinking is a triple clamp is the top, a triple tree includes the legs!? Whichever. Figured it would be hard to get just a top plate that was bored to match the bottom, unless you had it made. Ditching the rubber mount makes tingly bars more of a possibility. New rubber would be the hot setup to me, or cut them out of the same high density polyurethane they are using for car and truck suspension nowadays.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. At this time I'm only looking at the top triple not the bottom. I saw that a forum member makes a top and was looking into getting one. I would love to do a complete front end fork swap with inverted forks, but I'm trying to keep it fairly simple for my first project. I'm sure that will change 1/2 way through as most projects do.

One more question regarding the upper triple clamp. Do I need to get the bike on a lift / take load off of the front end to remove the upper triple only during a swap?

Back