Alloy or Stainless Steel Fenders / Mudguards?

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm going to mount a universal rear mudguard (aka Fender, I'm British ;) ). I can get them in Alloy or Stainless Steel but wondered what advantages / disadvantages there were for each option?

I've spent some time googling but not really found much opinion on it.

Thoughts guys?

Unless the aluminum is thick, it will tear from vibration. The stainless will also resist rust. Either one looks good without paint. Good luck and keep us informed with some pictures. Tony C.

Tearing with vibration! I hadn't even considered that side effect!

I'll be mounting a lightweight tail light but our number plates in the UK aren't exactly small / light. Thanks

Unless you are racing, I would not use the ally one. Ally is harder to paint than steel for one, and the tearing thing is another. These are washing machines on wheels apparently, so the shakes will tear the ally really quick. also, if you want to weld stuff to the mudguard, can you weld aluminium? Not many can.

Any info on where you were going to get them from?

good points, thanks. I'll probably get the Stainless one then. Thats cool. I've seen them all over the place in little independent shops such as "Matt's" in Bristol and online / ebay. cheers

Hi there. I'm going to mount a universal rear mudguard (aka Fender, I'm British ;) ). I can get them in Alloy or Stainless Steel but wondered what advantages / disadvantages there were for each option?

Hi adi,
Stainless is heavier but you can bolt it on just like a steel one.
Aluminium weighs less but will fatigue unless you mount it properly (1st stainless washer, 1st rubber washer, mudguard, 2nd rubber washer, support bracket, 3rd rubber washer, 2nd stainless washer; bolt through with M6 stainless bolt & plated Nylok nut)
And don't load them up with stuff neither.
Neither stainless nor aluminium mudguards need to be painted, both will polish up real nice.
And alas for the British dive brake sized numberplate, check out the neat little Sask. plate in my avatar.

Hi Fred thanks for that. Definitely siding with the stainless ones. I'd prefer durability over weight saving, I've already shed a fair amount of weight. Cheers

Back