Any difference or upgrades between the stock 79-83 special models

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to get a special model I like the 1983 was there any designs or upgrades done from the start when the first special model was made?

Link Here. Click on the pics and go through to page 5. Each pic has a description of the bikes and differences between the models. The 83K is not posted but it is the same as the 82, except it does not have any black chrome or black fork lowers, where the 82 has it.

The 82 and 83 has a side stand relay that wont let the bike start if the side stand is down

There were many, way too many to list. However, starting on the '80 "G" model, they went to an electronic ignition. About half way thruogh that model year, the seat came off totally,where the earlier one's didn't. However, remember that even an '83 will need work if it has been sitting. It is, after all, 31 years old.:yikes:
Hey Skull, long time.

- - - The 82 and 83 has a side stand relay that wont let the bike start if the side stand is down

Hi Skull,
my '84 Canadian Heritage Special had an upgrade on that.
It'd start with the sidestand down just fine but it'd die when you put it in gear if you didn't put the stand up first.
Found out exactly what this safety feature did the hard way after I lost the sidestand return spring on a dirt road which let the stand swung down which stopped the engine.
The lady I was trying to impress at the time took the lace out of her sneaker to tie the stand back up so we could get back home.

Hanging quite high these day's. How are thing's down under? I been looking on this site and see alot more from your part of the world on here.
Freddie, at least she didn't snicker and walk away!

Back