anybody have a cam chain breaker/ riveter

shaydaddy

Shaydaddy Customs
Reaction score
anybody have a cam chain breaker/ riveter? trying to rebuild my motor this weekend and ordering alot from mike's already. trying to avoid buying one for a one time job if anyone out there has one I could borrow. I can pay for shipping no problem. Thanks and God bless

You don't need any fancy tools to break a cam chain. Just buy a small inexpensive grinding stone (most hardware and automotive stores) and chuck it in your portable drill. It will grind off the rivet heads in no time.

To rejoin, I used a large nut splitter.

Attachments

• Nut Spliter.jpg
    Nut Spliter.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 189
as far as breaking i'm not worried about because i'm replacing chain and tensioner guide just want to rivet new chain together. is that a 7/8" capacity. how did chain hold up?

I don't know the specific size, but its needs to be the large size in order to fit over the cam gear.

New camchain has been working fine for more than 7000 kms.

Attachments

• Cam chain master link.JPG
    Cam chain master link.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 739
I wouldn't X-cut the heads that much, just a little like so .....

XCut.jpg

..... then peen the pins with the round end of a small ball peen hammer like so .....

CamChainLink.jpg

You don't even really need the bolt cutter, a small sharp chisel does the trick. Of course, this is only possible if you're good with a hammer. Many aren't, lol.

I've heard of a guy using a ball bearing and Visegrips to set the rivet. If you tap with a hammer, use your largest hammer to back up and a small hammer to set the rivet.

Tom Graham
in Cow-Town

Last edited:
Back