Anybody know where to find Raked trees for 35mm xs forks?

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Thinking of adding a little more rake to my wifes bike. Look for 3-6 degree raked trees that will fit the 35mm tubes? Any ideas where to find these for a reasonable price?

That definitely isn't an off-the-shelf item. Generally it's a lot easier and cheaper to rake the neck than have raked trees machined. You could pay a local machinist to make a set. Another option is converting to a Harley front end and raked tree setup. It's not going to be at a reasonable price...

You're going to really want to double check all of your measurements before getting a set or having a set made. You could easily run into negative rake problems and cause the bike to be very very unstable. Adding rake in the trees decreases trail, adding rake to the neck increases trail. You usually wouldn't need 3-6 degrees of rake in the trees until you already have quite a bit of rake in the neck. You would then use raked trees to get the trial measurements back in line so it doesn't handle like a tank. Basically, unless your neck is already raked quite a bit, you don't want raked trees.

Basically, i've got 6 degree raked trees that came stock on my raider. I'm hoping to do something similar with the bratstyle xs we're making. I just want to get it to 30 deg so a 3 deg raked tree should work since the xs is 27 deg stock. or am I missing something. i figured this would be cheaper than changing the neck.

You're going to really want to double check all of your measurements before getting a set or having a set made. You could easily run into negative rake problems and cause the bike to be very very unstable. Adding rake in the trees decreases trail, adding rake to the neck increases trail. You usually wouldn't need 3-6 degrees of rake in the trees until you already have quite a bit of rake in the neck. You would then use raked trees to get the trial measurements back in line so it doesn't handle like a tank. Basically, unless your neck is already raked quite a bit, you don't want raked trees.

The important difference in trail is that with a too high trail the bike becomes quirky at very low speeds, while responding slowly at high speeds, and it's usually obvious right from the start. With negative trail response becomes really unpredictable. It can seem to handle perfectly at 45 and leave you eating pavement at 50 because you hit a small rock or a bump in the road. Ultimately you want trail to be between 2 and 5 inches for fairly normal responsiveness.

Three degrees of rake probably won't put you in the negative. Again, probably. I've never used raked trees except on long girders with a raked neck. I think though, that 6 degrees will be too much. As always, every modification should be measured, and then measured again. This is the kind of thing you REALLY need to do your homework on before attempting it.

I've put raked tree's on four of my bikes. All but 1 handled great. The warrior, vstar 650 and the roadie. It was the intruder 750 that handled like shit. Stock shocks and it was tank slap time around 70. Lowered with sportster shocks and it was fine till I hit some dips in the road at 70. Rigid struts and it handled a hell of a lot better but I never felt "real" comfortable with it.

Back