anyone ever re spoke their rims

After you powder coat them, take them to a shop and have them laced. You will need a truing stand and a lot of patience to do it yourself. Should be able to get them both done for 50-75 bucks.

it's easy.....just follow the pattern... 9 inner , 9 outer ( both sides) it helps to take pics

I did it on a wheel for my harley, kind of a pain in the ass but worth it. Nobody in the area would do it cheap, just had somebody true it and mount the tire for me. Not too bad if you follow the pattern and take your time.

I've done quite a few. I lace and true them. I figure the money I save pretty much pays for the spokes. Here's another link that may help .....

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=brake&thread=9714&page=1

650-750WheelsCompared.jpg

I do my own and have a stand but if you got a old swingarm you can make your own stand and put two pointers on it to get it true. OLD SCHOOL WAY!!!!!!!! Just takes time.

Ya I did a set for the first time this winter and all I can say is you need patience and somewhere where you can think and not get interrupted. as far as truing it I bought a wheel balancing stand from harbor freight and used that to true it.
I used this guys video to help me true it. the first one took me forever but once I got the hang of it it was easy. Good luck.

Before I cut any spokes I number 1 to 36 on the rim with a dry erase marker starting at the valve stem. The hub spokes are 1 to 18 and I punch a small mark for an index. On a sheet of paper I draw an inner circle and an outer circle. Starting at teh valve I number from one to 36 to duplicate my rim and 1 to 18 on the inner circle for the hub. I then draw in the spokes careful to label inner and outer spokes. When the rim is flipped the other side can use the same diagram.

Do this and you can't screw up! Keep the diagram with your XS650 records for future wheel builds.

Tom Graham

Back