Anyone here convert a Mill to CNC?

_MC6_

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at converting one of the smaller mills to cnc for small stuff... Has anyone done this?

Are you wanting to do this to a bridgeport style mill? Are you looking for just an digital read out, or are you wanting a full CNC control with servo drives for each axis?

Last edited:
I am looking at the smaller benchtop mills (used vs. new/ import vs. us made) and trying to make the best decision on what kind to buy. I will start out with manual and NC and then go to full CNC as my budget will allow.

Well, it all depends on your budget. I pick up brigdeport J1 style head mills for pretty cheap at auction or trade-in. You can get a way better deal if you find one with a DRO already installed rather then adding one. I prefer the variable speed J2 style heads, but you will have to pay a bit more. It's nice to not have to change the belt manually to change the RPM's. Little CNC mills are pretty cheap. Old Fadals are all over the place. Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on. We are a MAG dealer and the factory is still providing service and support even though the Fadal brand is gone. I just saw some 8 year old running Haas VF-1's go for 8k each at auction.

You are going to need 3 phase electricity hook-up or a phase converter.

Sounds like you're looking for something like a Tiag benchtop mill. I have this mill full CNC converted. This is the mill I run in my garage. Runs on 110. Table travel is 12" in X, 5.5" in Y, and a 6" Z travel. Excellent for small parts. Each axis is driven by a stepper motor. The motors are driven by a Gecko drive control box. The Gecko drive attaches to a printer port on your PC. You don't need a fancy PC. I mave this mill running on an old pentium 2 with 64 megs of ram and windows XP. I have manufactured motorcycle parts for sale for several years on this mill. It has a 10,000 rpm spindle. It is belt drive, but if you install a variac and another stepper motor, you ca have your program control spindle speed. I have less than $2000 in the whole setup, and another $600 in my Bobcad software for programming. I program on a different PC with a higher end graphics card and processor, and then transfer programs via USB thumb drive. The PC that runs the mill has nothing else on it.

If this is something like what you are talking about, let me know and I will be happy to help you find what you need, and assist in any way I can.

BTW, NC is Numerically Controlled. Generally, this is what the first tape drive units were. CNC just adds Computer to the front of that statement.

I guess I didn't realize you were looking for something that small. I'm more in the world of production machine shops and specialize in aerospace production. I was thinking something more along the lines of a small Haas rather than a bench top hobby mill. I guess it all depends on the type of parts you are looking to make.

We are a Gibbs cam dealer, but I have played with the Bobcad software before. For simple 2 and 3 axis work you should be fine, and the price is right. I think the demo package they sent me was 500 bucks. The Gibbs package I use is about 35k.

cybrhick - It kinda sounds like your set-up is a smaller version of the Bridgeport EZ Trak. Which has a table of 9x48 I believe. Kinda a neat little simple CNC knee mill that is capable of manual operation as well.

I worked aerospace at my regular job up till last year. JSC took a major hit with the cancellation of Constellation, and our company struggled for a long time before starting layoffs. So now I am back to oilfield work. I run a Mazak Nexus 450-IIM currently, but have run a plethora of machines including the EZ trac mill and EZ path lathe.

I run the motorcycle parts on the side at home as a way to finance my obsessions. Since it doesn't have a tool changer, I usually program all features with the smallest endmill I will need. Longer runtime, but I can walk away and let it run. For instance, make a part called a clutch tension reducer for the VTX1300. I can set the machine up with material and a .1875 endmill when I leave for work. It will run 24 parts while I'm at work. When I get home I load it back up, and let it run. Before bed I load it again. 72 parts a day for 20 minutes worth of actual work.

I worked aerospace at my regular job up till last year. JSC took a major hit with the cancellation of Constellation, and our company struggled for a long time before starting layoffs. So now I am back to oilfield work. I run a Mazak Nexus 450-IIM currently, but have run a plethora of machines including the EZ trac mill and EZ path lathe.

I run the motorcycle parts on the side at home as a way to finance my obsessions. Since it doesn't have a tool changer, I usually program all features with the smallest endmill I will need. Longer runtime, but I can walk away and let it run. For instance, make a part called a clutch tension reducer for the VTX1300. I can set the machine up with material and a .1875 endmill when I leave for work. It will run 24 parts while I'm at work. When I get home I load it back up, and let it run. Before bed I load it again. 72 parts a day for 20 minutes worth of actual work.

Now that's cool.

Yep, we're seeing more and more requests for automation in the industry. Lights out production is becoming more of a common practice since so many shops are going to lean manufacturing.

You might want to avoid all the guess work, and look for a used E-Z Trak Bridgeport. Someone mentioned before, that with that type of mill you will need 3 phase, or a converter. I think you would be better off with a full size mill that you won't out grow in a year. Something else to consider,is if your time is not real important, alot can be done with a index head, and a rotory table. Bone up on your math, and get to work.

Here's a short video I made while running 10% feed on a prove out on my benchtop mill. I have probably made $35,000 worth of parts on this little machine over the past few years.

205576_2014724452396_1372374812_2461867_95497_n.jpg

Here are some of the other parts this little mill has made.

DSC05242.jpg

DSC05243.jpg

100_2155.jpg

BP-HMCC-013-PATRIOTGUARD.jpg

NudieLarge.jpg

Nudieplugs.jpg

DSC05939.jpg

Steves1800gaugerelocater2-1.jpg

Here's a short video I made while running 10% feed on a prove out on my benchtop mill. I have probably made $35,000 worth of parts on this little machine over the past few years.

Here are some of the other parts this little mill has made.

AHS band? Atascocita? Also I told you we're going to be best of friends!!

Back