baby' fingers?

prmurat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of fingers do you need to attach gas lines on XS2 carbs on a stock bike???
Take off half of the bike?
Took me almost one hour to connect the petcocks to the carbs!! I am glad I connected the 2 carbs together when I installed them!
How do you spell "poorly thought/made"?? :banghead:

Well, in this case: it's spelled "J-A-P-A-N-E-S-E" Don't hate, I love these bikes:)

Manufacturing cost/productivity and design far outweigh the notion of someone repairing or working on a product. end of story. If they had YOU in mind at the time of design, the dealer would have never had a chance to sell YOU a warranty. same story today with everything you buy automotive. Ever work on cars and have the same gripe? I do all the time. They don't give a shit. They slap things together as quickly as possible, put them on the market and that's that.

I do feel for you though, bro. I understand the perils of trying to work on something that was never intended to be assembled/reassembled by human hands, even if it IS 30 years old!

i've had far less gripes working on this motorcycle than i have with any other cars/bikes. had a 2006 vmax for a while and i dreaded the day i had to work on that thing - luckily never had too.

I haven't really had any issues with the fuel lines, and I think it is mainly due to the placement of my filters. If you put a short piece of fuel line on the carb with the fuel filter attached, and another piece on the petcock, you can just detach the two halves at the filter when you have to remove carbs.

I also found it handy to have a short length of hose with couplers on it that I use to connect the two petcocks when the tank is off in case of a slow leak.

To me, the difficult part is getting the choke crossover tube connected. I find it easier to put on the carbs one at a time, so I have to eyeball the crossover as I put on the second carb, but since it's so short, it usually just pushes on.

small needle nose with the bent jaws are handy for fuel line hook up.

Something like this
1722920601p

Often found in a 4 piece mini needle nose set for a few bucks

Back