Bad ignition draining battery?

volcom8877

reckless and relentless
Reaction score
So I know I have a bad ignition switch ( just ordered one) could that kill thr buttery over about a 2 week period? Every thing else reads good on the multi meter new stator and rotor I just got work good but some thing is killing it slowly. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile

No on the ignition switch killing the battery. How old is the battery? Failing batteries will self discharge. There is typically a small (tiny) parasite load even with the switch off. Small current flow through the diodes in the regulator maybe. I have gone months with no battery drain off though. My Shadow has been a different story it is showing a 70m amp parasite drain.

Last edited:
The battery is new. The ignition is new. Im looking into a new coil. My stator and rotor are reading okay. I got a simplified wiring harness running one 20 amp fuse. Do I need a pick up if its an 81 with a tci box?

Posted via Mobile

Yes you need a pick up to run a TCI it doesn't use points.

Last edited:
Here's a pic. They replace the points and feed a timing signal to the TCI box.
There are none on eBay right now try a wanted ad here.
index.php

I'm and idiot I do have a pick up. I thought it was a stand alone unit. Do you think I could have wired something wrong? The drain in battery is not bad with the lights off but the second i turn the lights on the battery starts draining really quick

Posted via Mobile

You sure are confusing me, how can you run it for 1/2 hour if you don't have or or know what pickups are?????????????????

It is not charging. go through the curlys charging guide. I reprinted it in another thread you posted on today.

The TCI pick up is mounted on the stator. It has no effect on how the stator works.
Leo

So it turns out that I forgot to connect the positive brush to the reg/rec when I re-did my wiring. Did it and battery is charging! The war is over for now.

Till next time. Thanks guys for your help.
If it wasnt for this site my bike would still be in pieces in storage.

Posted via Mobile

Back