bare bones wiring with stock 81 stator

Godric

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really need the pma/pamco to run a bare bones harness? If so would I have to keep the tci ignition? Trying to make a simple bobber/chopper harness, the simpler the better, with what I have. I plan on re using wires and I'm going to shrink wrap and make it nice. The stock harness worked and everything's good on it. It's a 1981. Can I follow this diagram and just not use a pma? Also what would I need to make this second diagram work?

Attachments

• xs650-PMA-PAMCO-basic-diagram.jpg
    xs650-PMA-PAMCO-basic-diagram.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,414
  • xs650-1.jpg
    xs650-1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 961
PMA would replace your stator and rotor. Permanent Magnet Alterbator. if your bike is charging, your stator and rotor are fine. PAMCO is an electronic ignition that would replace your TCI. If your bike is firing, your TCI is fine. These stock systems work great but they're so old and exposed to elements, it's rare I find one in working order. Expensive to replace with stock parts so I go to the PMA (charging) and PAMCO (ignition). Find your reg/rec. I can't remeber but it might be two separate components, Buy the single unit. There wires out of the charging system to this and from this to a fuse box. Boom. Your second pic without the PMA, if your stock components are good. I don't like capacitors, I've had no luck. To sensitive to vibration.

Cool, good to know, thank you. One more question, I dont see an ignition unit (tci box) in the second diagram, do you need it?

Well I would argue, that if it aint broke, don't fix it. If your current charging system is working and if your ignition(TCI) is working, don't replace them until you have to. Also some TCI ignitors can be repaired.
I agree with you. If the stock items work, keep em. It is expensive to buy stock remanufactured parts tho. I would although recommend the shunt style reg/rec unit. Shunt style in case a person wants a lithium battery.

Back