Battery required?

shawn00sa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just read this on mikes xs. Is this true?

Q. Can I run the XS without a battery?
A. No, the XS has a non permanent magnet type alternator rotor which means the charging system requires a power supply to make power. The power supply to the charging system comes from the battery and the ignition system requires a power supply.

Yes it's true. The XS650 uses a field excited alternator. This means the field coil has to have battery power to build the magnetic field needed by the stator to generate electricity.
Leo

If you want to go without a battery you need to convert from the stock alternator to a PMA, or Permanent Magnet Alternator. This type of alternator doesn't use a battery powered field coil to produce electricity. It uses permanent magnets instead.
If you want to better understand these systems you can google them to find out more.
Leo

Many are running perfectly fine with a stock style charging system, battery, and electronic ignition. I have a Pamco E-advance with a MIke's XS regulator rectifier in place of the separate parts that were originally on the bike. It maintains just fine. No need for the cost and trouble of a PMA and setting it up. Not that it's not a good option if your system is shot to hell, or incomplete, but I would not recommend changing anything up on a rider unless it just flat-out won't work for you. Your money, your time. Lots of threads in here on setting up a PAMCO and PMA at the same time. Issues with over charging blowing up Pamcos, slipping rotors, stripped bolts, smoked wiring, and general mayhem are all discussed.
I never felt the need to bask myself in all that unless it was required to get things running again.
$0.02, YMMV.

I huts wanted to do away with the battery. Doing a new build an started with a bike that ran fine. Ideally was going to eliminate batter and downsize or do away with switches. Now I'm totally confused. Lol

I'd advise getting the PMA/capacitor thing sorted out first, and once it's solid, then move on to the electronic ignition. Read up on it here and fuse the electronic ignition properly, and it should be protected from voltage spikes if you have regulation problems.

My son just put the PMA from Hugh on his points chopper. It works better, and he's replaced 35 year old stuff, whether it was still good or not it was 35 year old electrics. We are fine with points, tho.

weaselbeak

A good XS650 charging system running well and a PMA running well are 2 different systems, but it doesn't make one run better than the other.

I lot of the damage to the charging system was lack of maintenance to the electrical system and not running fully charged batteries, causing over heating in the Rotor and stator.

Understanding the problems and the cause of these problems, means a solution doesn't necessarily involve spending money just for the sake of it.
But then you hear all the time how budget conscious these young guys are with their new build and they get caught up in the hype of a PMA and bad information, then they will spend $500.00 on a new charging and ignition system and junk the existing good stuff

Not my money:laugh:

You only have to look at the windings and resin coating, and compare the good 35 year old stuff, to the new Chinese stuff to see the difference, and it raises the question, for me at least, how good is it really and how long is it going to last.

After looking at some options I might go with a four cell antigravity battery for now. I think I will keep the original charging system until it fails or next the next rebuild. Same goes for the ignition system.

Any opinions on wiring this thing up? Looking to keep it as simple as possible. Small switches or at least simple.

Now that's what it's all about. Do some research on both and decide. As far as wiring goes. Just google xs650 wiring diagrams. Many floating around. Recently used one to rewire my friends bike. He has points. You can search for electronic ignition wiring diagrams if you go that route.

weaselbeak

A good XS650 charging system running well and a PMA running well are 2 different systems, but it doesn't make one run better than the other.

I lot of the damage to the charging system was lack of maintenance to the electrical system and not running fully charged batteries, causing over heating in the Rotor and stator.

Understanding the problems and the cause of these problems, means a solution doesn't necessarily involve spending money just for the sake of it.
But then you hear all the time how budget conscious these young guys are with their new build and they get caught up in the hype of a PMA and bad information, then they will spend $500.00 on a new charging and ignition system and junk the existing good stuff

Not my money:laugh:

You only have to look at the windings and resin coating, and compare the good 35 year old stuff, to the new Chinese stuff to see the difference, and it raises the question, for me at least, how good is it really and how long is it going to last.

I understand what you are saying, but newer is generally better in my book. Especially since the PMA will start the bike with a pretty much dead battery, and that happens in the real world. I rarely will have faith in 35 year old stuff regardless of how well it was made. And I'm an old guy, who would rather ride the old stuff.

Shawn, is the bike your talking about the 72 XS2 listed in your signature? If so you stock wiring is about as simple as it gets. The only ones simpler are the 70 - 71, they don't have the e-start.
Leo

That is the bike. I am looking to replace the switches and such. I will not be using blinkers, starter and wondering about doing away with the big clunky looking stock stuff.

Back