bearing check, How to?

Reaction score
I've got a bearing whine in what seems to be the cam area. Question is, if I tear the motor apart will I be able to tell if the cam bearings are bad by visual inspection? I'd hate to go through the hassle and expense of replacing them only to find out thats not the problem. I plan on also replacing the cam chain and guides while I'm in there. The bike runs great except for the whining coming from the motor.

Usually if you wash the bearing out with high flashpoint solvent and make sure it is spotlessly clean you can feel any roughness or play in the bearing. If there is anything but silky smoothness it is time to replace the bearing.

Yea, what he said. Once cleaned you should be able too feel any looseness or roughness while turning and rocking the bearings. If you have a magnifing glass of 10x or more use it to look for chips on the balls and rough spots on the races.

Last edited:
Hello

Well -destructo-......I´m also in the middle of an engine overhaul and took out my camberings a few days ago.

My berings ain´t "supersmooth" when you roll them so I don´t take any chances, I´ll buy new once. Feels like you can be a little cheap here and there but not when it comes to berings.

You´re wondering if it´s able to see if the berings are bad by just look at them. Well, that´s hard and if you´re going to change the camchain and guides you´ll have to pull the camshaft anyway.

Just go for it, it´s fun:bike:

/BigBoreSwede

Back