Best Shocks (affordable)

alfredo

1978 xs650 Special
Reaction score
what would everyone say are the best shocks for the xs? looking for something all chrome and not too pricey. the cheaper the better, but also don't want something stiffer than steel.

Everybody's idea of "affordable" differs. Quality shocks start at around $200/pr., springs included. My favorite in a basic shock is the Progressive Series 14 in 13.5" eye-to-eye length--good dampers, good appearance, bolt-on installation, wide choice of springs. Weigh your bike, weigh yourself, and give that info to the seller for spring selection. MMM at 650 Central is the go-to guy.

I am not satisfied with the MIDI shocks I have. These are the ubiqutous cheap shocks that many companies sell. Most get them from mikesxs. Wasted money for me. Mine might be okay if I weighed over 200#.

Used premium brand shocks will be my first pick for good shocks at a lower price. But it might take awhile to find what you need.

NJB, not easy to find. Somewhat a copy of English Girling.

Redwing. These used to be everywhere for cheap. Somebody bought out Dixie's warehouse and the Redwings are now $159. Hit or miss on the springs.

Progressive Suspension. These are semi custom as they have the springs matched to your bike and weight. They seem to be a bit stiffly sprung in my experience.

Anyhow, there are three shocks that are 'good' and won't break the bank. I haven't heard or found shocks under $100 that are worth the sweat to try them on a bike.

Tom

You might look into Hagon shocks....they are made in England but they have several US outlets......they will match spring and damping rates to your weight and their prices are competitive with US shocks. Some of their US outlets advertise in Cafe Racer and Motor Cycle Classic magazines....I'm sure a Google search will turn up a source or two. These are good shocks...I've used them on several bikes with great results.

Yeah, Hagons and Red Wings are good stuff (BTW, Red Wing was Kayaba's aftermarket line, often used in competition back in the day--much higher quality that their built-to-price OEM junk). As to Progressives being "stiffly sprung," that depends on the springs you've bought and where you've set the preload. Make that determination by measuring laden sag (between 25 mm. for more aggressive riding and 35 mm. for laid-back cruising). Set laden sag on the forks to match.

Unless you're an experienced hand at suspension setup, it's a good idea (and probably cheaper in the long run) to buy your shocks from a vendor who'll give you informed advice on spring selection. IMO only rebuildable shocks should be bought used, and then only by those who have the expertise to rebuild them. It's real easy to spend a hundred bucks trying to save fifty, with a bunch of frustration for a bonus.

I bought the Redwings from Omar's. I only have about 50 miles on them so far. Quality was not bad, He asked My weight ,etc, to select the proper springs. Extra bushings included to ease installation on diff bikes. They were about $170, I think. For My Tracker, they were at a good price point with a clean look and very acceptable performance. If I were racing, or riding this bike hard in the twisties, i would be willing to spend a lot more. For My purposes the Redwings are a good choice.

I try to find good used ones, preferably Konis because they can be rebuilt. I'm currently running a set of external damping adjustable ones on my 650 that came off a Moto Guzzi. I got them for about $60 off eBay which I consider quite a good deal for shocks that now run about $400 new.

KoniLeft.jpg

Back