Bike market is kind of thin this year?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Been watching the craigs ads (as always) and the market seems rather tough out there, not for XS650 specifically but all bikes in general. There's the the usual stupid high priced bikes but I have seen a number of motivated sellers come down again and again on price till some nice late model bikes seemed pretty reasonable. :wtf: With gas prices so high you would think things would be snapped up. Guess it's still a rough economy. It's been a cold wet spring here this year also.

I've been seeing XS650 stuff on craigslist like mad. A few restos, trackers, half-ass bobbers, lots and lots of parts.... it seems the XS crowd is .... crowded here in Minnesota. I've put mine up for sale and the only people that bother calling end up trying to get me to cut my price in half because it's soooooo old. :laugh: The other ones that I see listed don't seem to be going anywhere, either.

I check Amarillo CL several times a day-I never see any XS or parts. Lots of junk out there, especially the broken Chinese stuff.

In 2008 people thought the price of gas was high to stay. Many cost of living expenses move upward only; when was the last time anyone's rent went down? Would you expect to pay less or more for utilities next year? In 2008 people were looking for a solution to a permanent problem. That won't happen this time, because they think gas prices will likely fall, like they did before.

I am fighting the high gas prices the only way I can. The F-150 sits more and I use the bikes much more. The Tour Pak on My Glide can carry 2 30packs and groceries, easily. Still seems weird to put $30 worht of gas in a bike.

I've noticed a slow down here as well in the last 2 years. I was flipping 5-8 bikes a year. Last year 3, this year 1 so far...

It's thin in Texas, but I did find a 81 xs1100 for $375, no title doesn't run, but 95% complete....

Did ya see the one for $200 in Dickinson? also no title...

xs11's dont seem to sell for more than 500 in these parts. Ive thought about picking one up but my insurance would go from 96 a year to 400 and it would be going from a 60mpg xs to a 35mpg xs... Idk if i could justify that.

Heck, you should ship them all over here (any 70's/80's bikes) , the markets gone mad here for old Jap stuff..XS frames alone are selling for near £300,engines £500,wheels £100 each...etc. Find a decent running 650 here & youll pay £1500-£2700, that includes non-stock Trackers etc. XS11's £2000+, RD250's /400's £2000-£3000..:shrug:
BTW...£6.30 ($9.50?)a gallon here, one of the reasons I just sold my 1400 Intruder, 30mpg isnt good these days..:(

I've been seeing a bunch of iron head '57-'85 Harley sportsters for 3K or less. They are actually a good little bike. As long as you know how to work on a motorcycle. Got a shovel head look, can be hard tailed, and kick start. I guess so many of them are popping up 'cuz they do need a mechanical handed owner.
But the XS is slim pickins around here. Or some doffus has dollar signs in his eyes. I had a guy tell me he was selling his '69 BSA for 13K!!!!!! What!!!!! Um, try 4K all day on ebay buddy. AND, he wanted $7,500.00 for his '78 XS!!!! His reasoning was that they are extremely rare and highly sought after. Now, he was telling me this in a shop with about 10 sitting there and he didn't even notice them. Just a fool with money on is mind.

Ironheads are fairly common on CL here. I bought this one last year, 1980 model, for $1500 and converted it into a Bronson tribute bike for Birney Jarvis. Total spent about $2800.

Attachments

• Bronson and 79 Sportster project 017.jpg
    Bronson and 79 Sportster project 017.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Birney Bike finished 008.jpg
    Birney Bike finished 008.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Birney Bike finished 001.jpg
    Birney Bike finished 001.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
The bike market is slow here as well. I have a cherry Honda VT1100 Aero on Craig's List and in Cycle Trader for the past 2 months. Only one nibble so far.

I used to be knee deep in project and basketcase xs650's and parts, but I havent been able to find any in the past year. My hobby income has dried up.

I sold a KZ1000 project bike to a indy shop in town today. He said His business is down about 50% from this time last year. Economic stimulus, right.:mad:

Theres supposed to be a recession here in England but old bikes (of any make) are flying off the shelf over here & for top prices.
Wish I hadnt sold so much XS stuff off over the last two years as now I cant afford to buy back what I need:doh:
Lets hope whats happening over the pond hits here then.....

XSs are getting slim here too-- but I've got too many... But, I'm in no rush to sell.

Ironheads are everywhere, Hogs too. And the prices are almost down to where they should be. Late model Jap bikes are sky high locally but they'll drop come Fall.

Few bikes for sale but the ones that are are priced low. That doesn't jive. Or whatever the expression is.

Oh boy, quite the topic here. Last summer I got fired and got my 401k payout all at once. So I had cash in the pocket, I kept an eye on craigslist. I was able to pick up a 1992 Suzuki GS500E for $800 running and driving and a 2002 Kawasaki ZR7S for $1600. I snatched them up and rode and sold them both for a decent profit. Couple hundred on the GS and $550 on the ZR7S. After those two I got out of it. Then I moved and got into a position where I could start looking for deals again. Ran across a decent 2006 Suzuki SV650 for $1200. I bought a $75 headlight for it and ended up selling it for $2700. I keep an eye out, but this year it has been tough. Not a lot of deals out there at all, but I am finding a ton of overpriced junk. Not finding any XS650s out this way at all. Would love to snatch up another one. Got my 1981 XS650 for $500 running on one cylinder due to gummed up carbs and with the charging system issue. Complete and in decent shape other than that. Bought from the original owner. Guess you just get lucky sometimes.

And Searchtempest is awesome, but to really be a craigslist hawk, you need a smartphone and the Craigsnotify app. It alerts me whenever there is a new listing within my search criteria. That is the real deal.

Back