BikeMaster BMX 530 Drive Chain

rangerider45

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to XS650.com, but used to be a member 650 Rider (if I remember the name right) a while back. I've built a couple of bikes that you can see in my profile photos.

Anyway, I'm back and in need of help. I bought a basket case '78 XS650 built for a wide rear tire and I think the frame is stretched a lot. I'm not sure how much the neck is raked and the frame is stretched. It has a 67.5 inch wheelbase and I think the stock wheelbase is 56.5 inches. So it's 11 inches longer than stock right now.

I need a drive chain and bought the BikeMaster BMX 530 120 link chain. Like a dumba_ _ I wasn't even concerned 120 links would be too short. Well, it is and I need to order a 130 link chain.

2 Questions:
1) What problems will I probably run into with that much chain? I can get a chain tensioner, but still wonder how wise this long a chain is? What problems have some of you with long chains ran into?

2) Could someone please measure the width of a standard duty chain for me as this BMX chain is very wide and lightly touches the tire. My new BMX chain is 1 inch wide and I wondering if the other chains are more narrow. I can shim it, but maybe I should go with a standard non-O ring or even standard O ring chain if it is more narrow??

I hope someone has had experience with this and would appreciate help & suggestions...

Charlie

Last edited:
BMX chain?

Did you replace your sprockets? Putting a new chain on old sprockets will cause premature wear and a shorter life span. And no one likes to be premature ;)

A 520 conversion would benefit you. Also, check out the monstercraftsman tensioners, or make one out of a skateboard wheel.

I went with a gold 520 RK X-ring heavy duty motorcross chain.

Bmx is bikemaster's x-ring chain. Should be plenty strong enough, but I would go with a tensioner. That a long way to go for any chain.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks Tron & grepper for the reply. I'm not sure why the previous owner made the frame so long and am considering cutting back on its length.

I put a new Mr Lucky 34 tooth sprocket on the rear and the chain is rubbing the tire. I know others with the same setup and no rubbing problem?? I can put a thin spacer in there, but it looks like that will be limited to about 1/16th of an inch and not much help.

I don't know chain sizes and wonder if a 520 chain will fit my rear sprocket.

What is the difference between a 520 and a 530 chain?

A 520 chain is skinnier, but you need matching 520 sprockets. Hiw wide of a tire are you running?

A 520 chain is skinnier, but you need matching 520 sprockets. Hiw wide of a tire are you running?

I'm running a 200/50 R18 tire on a 5.5 X 18" Harley rear wheel. The chain is a 530 Heavy Duty BikeMaster BMX (X ring) chain. It's big!

Sounds like I will have to run a 530 chain or buy another sprocket for 520 chain. Or, buy another 530 chain in standard duty o ring that isn't a big as the BMX chain and see if that works.

Back