bleed cylinder

kemptw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to bleed the front caliper or the master cylinder on the 1977 yamaha 650 bike. Can anyone give me some information on it?

Please e-mail me at kemptw@frontier.com

Walt

Take the bleed nipple right out of the caliper and inspect it. I had one that was smashed shut on the inner end from over-tightening.

Often you need to unhook the line from the master cylinder and use your fingertip on the hole and pump the lever slowly to get the air bled out of the M/C.
Once you get the air out of the M/C rehook the line. Now at the next joint in the line, at the block on the lower tree use one of the banjo bolts to bleed the line that far, by pulling the lever slowly and while holding the lever pulled, crack the bolt.
Once you get bled there move down to the caliper and bleed from the bleeder.
Leo

Well, the method I use after doing the standard bleed routine is to remove the caliper from the fork and push the piston in while observing the air bubbles coming out at the master cylinder reservoir. Then, gently squeeze the brake lever to push the piston back out. Don't worry. It's not going to pop out. In fact, you can squeeze the lever a couple of times. Do this with the caliper piston facing the floor. Do it till your arms fall off. You will end up with a rock solid lever.

Back