blinking STOP light

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So just recently the STOP light on the gauge cluster on my '75 started blinking. Does this mean anything other than a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks!

That indicates that your rear drum shoes are worn or just another wiring gremlin in an old wiring harness. Unplug wire at drum and see if goes out. Pull wheel and physically check shoes. It was Yamaha's solution in search of a problem.

That is correct. Pull the bulb, pull the wheel, check the shoes, cut off the bracket on the backer plate and polish. You will never miss it.

:)I never knew that kind of warning existed, and I have been riding for years. Actually I so rarely use my rear brake that other than my XL250, I have never replaced rear shoes, I have replaced front disc pads though.

The switch on the rear brake plate gets activated when the shoes wear far enough down. The switch grounds a circuit in the light checker. This signals the light checker the brakes are worn and lights the dash light.
This is if the light checker is working ok. If not the light checker turns the light on when ever it wants. Me, I'd remove the light checker.
Leo

It was actually just blinking because the taillight filament was burnt. I replaced it a couple weeks ago, and it just burnt out again last night...

Back