Bottom end questions

Greg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i split the case to fix my 1st gear problems and low and behold i had a worn shift fork and rounded off dogs on the 4th gear got a newer tranny all seems to be in order now. but i have some questions

1) what is the best way to remove the old yamabond there dosent seem to be much there

2) can i take the tension off the cam chain and just lift the crankshaft a bit to replace the seal

3) do i put yamabond on the new oil seals

4) do i need to put locktite on anything

5) how do i torque the nuts i cant get a socket on (the 1 by the clutch)

6) am i forgetting to do something while im in there

sorry for the dumb questions:confused:

the seals should come out ok with cam tensioner removed use y/bond sparingly yes on the seals, clean up with thinners,just have to use a spanner on that nut by the clutch & guese the torque good luck

Thanks for the advice irristeve any body else i cant bring my self to guess on the torque

For the cam chain you might be able to do what you suggest but lifting the crank at one end would require the rods to be on an angle, and there isn't much free play in them (<2mm at the piston end is spec). So you might not be able to get the one end of the crank 'up'.

But with the bottom 1/2 of the engine case off and a little free play it might be enough to replace that seal - chances are it sometimes is replaced without splitting the cases at all.

If you find you can't get the crank to lift and get the seal off, you can take the rocker cover off and with the cam chain tension loosened, remove the cam bearings which will give you all the free play on the crank you need to lift it evenly.

Just be careful as the main crank bearing on the 'drive' side has a locating pin in the engine case / hole in the bearing race that mate.

Tim is partly right, the drive side bearing does have an alignment pin, but so do all the crank bearings.
No lock tight needed.
On that hidden nut you can get what's called a crows foot or offset end wrench that fits a torque wrench drive.
Looks like this. Just have to allow for the offset when setting the torque wrench.
Leo

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    8 KB · Views: 79
Back