broken knee, no summer rides

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday I broke my knee when falling off my bicycle, hitting a road bump. A fracture inside the knee. So i will spend the next 5-8 weeks with a metall support. First season with my new motorbike, and THIS happen. It sucks! All summer plans failed... :banghead::mad::shrug:

The only thing I can do is take it easy and getting served (!) by my lovely girlfriend... At least I could postpone my vacation period, which would have started this weekend for 5 weeks, and instead getting money from the company and the national healtcare insurance until the knee is cured.

And remember, summer period in Sweden is SHORT, too short. So I hope I at least will be able to ride the bike during the late summer and autumn.

So now I will go down now and then to just give the sweet bike a nice hug or two. No nice summer riden in while for her...

Think about this sad Swede when your out riding

marp, this is sad news indeed. :( Cycling is a calculated risk as well, a fact of which I was always mindful when I was racing bicycles.

Mend well and quickly, and hang around here a lot! :)

TC

If you can speak German, this gives you lots of time to translate that German manual into English...

Nope, no German. Spanish though... More beautiful language. Nothing personal... If any of you are German. Friendly people and a lot of nice roads in the Alps though... :thumbsup:

Thanks teecat.. If it only had been that glorious as racing... I was only "idling" my way through a new neighborhood, approx. 10 km/h (6 mph). The bump was short and high, in the shadow, and I was using sunglasses and thinking of the way to were I was heading.

This incident will remind me that one should try to enjoy the moment more. Try and do things and meet up with people that you like. You never know about the future. Make plans but be present and enjoy the moment. Don't postpone enjoyable things, thinking that you can do them later. Maybe you can't..

So be careful when you're out on the roads. A fall from a bike in 90 km/h can be a lot worse than in 10 from a bycicle...

And I will be hanging around here a lot... Intresting old things to read still, and new stories told everyday... In 10 days they will xray the knee again. Then they can give a forecast about how long it will take until I can at least remove the support and start training the knee and maybe drive the car, and motorcycle. Even though I could learn to kick start the bike with my left foot, I would still have to rest the whole body and balance on my right leg, which probably isn't a good idea. Now I regret not fixing the electric starter last winter.. Would have been very useful now... May get a friedn to help my start the bike.

I thoroughly enjoyed drives through Sweden in the summer. Beautiful forests, small friendly towns and great roads. And the ladies are quite special also. Heal well and hopefully you will get in a few rides during the break between winters.

Same thing happened to my wife (not a bicycle though..) and fractured the Tibia.
We won't be going on our usual summer motorcycle tour as she can't rely on her knee to hold up her bike.
It's best to take the time you need to let it heal COMPLETELY and do all the physio therapy needed.
Don't rush it and then have problems later in life.
There is always next year:bike:

Back