Brown wire coming out of alternator

kkeith1986

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have recently started building a bobber out of my 81 xs650 and have started simplifying the wiring using some diagrams I have found online. In the wiring diagram there is a black wire coming out of the alternator but on mine there is a brown wire. All the other wires in the diagram are accounted for. Originally the brown wire out of the alternator was connected to the brown wire out of the regulator and then connected to the ignition switch. Is the brown wire coming out of the alternator supposed to connect to the brown wire out of the reg?

Attachments

• charging system wiring diagram.jpg
    charging system wiring diagram.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 102
yes if it is going to one of the brushes some of the 81's (H?) used a green and brown to the brushes and some used green and grounded brush (black) (SH?)

So I should just wire that brown wire out of the alternator with the brown wire out of the reg and then to the ignition?

yes look at the 81H/SH wiring diagram in my photo album (jayels album) here's a small section of it showing the connection

Attachments

• 81H_SH.JPG
    81H_SH.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 86
Some of the diagrams are wrong. In the one you show the Brushes, one is grounded with a black wire. This was never done with the combo reg/rec that the factory used.
The grounded brush was used with the 79 and earlier seperate mechanical regulator and selineum rectifier.

Back