BS38 Mikuni Carb 1977 XS

Sowiuk1

no gear no idea
Reaction score
Hi All.
Stripped my Mikuni BS38 carbs apart this evening off of my 77 xs650, ready for the ultrasonic cleaner.
Where can I get replacement parts, and what should I replace now it’s all disassembled? And how do I learn what sizing the jets are etc.

Thanks for any help.
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 40C5D05E-68E0-421C-B31F-23A55139A153.jpeg
    40C5D05E-68E0-421C-B31F-23A55139A153.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 33975D8B-EA74-4200-8AAD-8BE68994DABF.jpeg
    33975D8B-EA74-4200-8AAD-8BE68994DABF.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 190
  • F7B9488E-5095-4017-9D75-900C06AF94BB.jpeg
    F7B9488E-5095-4017-9D75-900C06AF94BB.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 186
Looks like the one thing you haven’t done is disassembled is the throttle shafts so you can replace the shaft seals. It’s a bit of a chore but will help ensure the carbs will run properly when reassembled. 5T is one of the experts in this area and I’m sure he’ll be chiming in. Some OEM parts are still available but you may have to buy aftermarket bits like gaskets. If your bike is stock there shouldn’t be a need to change factory jetting. Check the diaphragms for holes or tears. There’s good aftermarket sources for these should you need them. A good bath in the ultrasonic cleaner should allow you to reuse your brass bits like the jets. Main fuel bowl valves and seats should be replaced, preferably with Yamaha parts. Throttle shaft seals are from Yamaha but equivalent Suzuki seals are available at a lower cost. Check floats for damage and pinholes. Needless to say fuel lines need to be replaced and I like to use Tygon hoses - available on line or from a local small engine repair shop.
When reassembling, I replaced all the Phillips head screws with SS socket head cap screws. Looks nice and easy to re/re when needed. Three sizes are needed (4,5,6mm dia).
Good luck with the project. It’s a bit time consuming but very rewarding.

Welcome to the madhouse, Sowiuk!

For year-by-year jet lists and more, go to www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf. JBM Industries is the source for replacement diaphragms. The only thing you can rely on from aftermarket rebuild kits is float bowl gaskets. For genuine Mikuni jets, I like Niche Cycle Supply. The only really hard to find part is the needle jet (AKA atomizer, AKA emulsion tube). A chronic problem with old bikes is that slide needles and needle jets are prone to wear, and since the NJ is the primary mixture control in the low throttle cruising range where most street riding is done, the result is a bike that sucks fuel like an SUV. We're pretty much stuck with aftermarket or less heavily used parts for needles and needle jets.

You'll find a wealth of information in the Tech section, and the search function on the site works remarkably well. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I can tell by looking at them that you have a '78-'79 carb set there, not a '76-'77 one. The big "tells" are how the needle is mounted in the slide (with a snap ring), lack of overflow hose nipples on the float bowls, and internal float bowl vents (the two round holes at 3 and 9 o'clock on the intake bells). So, you will need to use jetting and follow the jetting specs for that carb set. The float setting spec and the suggested mix screw setting differs from the '76-'77 set. The jetting is also all different. Here's a chart I drew up listing the stock specs .....

Carb Specs Reduced Size.jpg

There are a couple o-rings in each carb you'll want to replace but they don't come in any of the rebuild kits. Luckily, through trial and error, we've figured out their sizes. There's one on the needle jet and you can use a 1mm x 4mm size there. There's also one on your mix screw and a 1.3mm x 2.5mm size fits perfectly .....

78-79MixScrew2.JPG

78-79MixScrew3.JPG

I don't know if you're aware of it or not but most of the fasteners used on this bike are not standard metric ones, they are the J.I.S. type (Japanese Industrial Standard). This doesn't affect the threads, they're the same as normal metric fasteners, but it does affect the nut, bolt head, and screw head sizes. For instance, a normal metric M8 nut or bolt will have a 13mm head size, take a 13mm wrench to install/remove. The J.I.S. M8 has a 12mm head or nut size. But the bigger deal here are the Phillips screws. They're not really Phillips any more and are referred to as cross-points, and they need a different type screwdriver to fit them properly. A normal Phillips doesn't fit into them very well. You may notice many of the Phillips heads on the bike are buggered up, this is why. I'm telling you all this because the throttle shafts use these J.I.S. cross-point screws to hold the butterfly plates in. On top of that, the ends of the screws are crimped or peened to prevent them from backing out .....

gZf994w.jpg

This makes them difficult to remove so I suggest getting some proper J.I.S. type screwdrivers before even attempting it. Also, the throttle shafts are made of brass so are soft. Try to remove the screw with their peened ends still intact can mess the threads up. So, I like to grind off the peened end first using a small ball cutter in a Dremel .....

FtysoZm.jpg

Also mentioned was the fact that the shaft seals can be had from Suzuki for a better price, way better now because the Yamaha price just spiked to $18, lol .....

BAtqbbx.jpg

HyQ0ryF.jpg

This Suzuki seal is the exact same part as the Yamaha one. Suzuki used very similar BS type carbs on many of their bikes.

I don't know if you're aware of it or not but most of the fasteners used on this bike are not standard metric ones, they are the J.I.S. type (Japanese Industrial Standard). This doesn't affect the threads, they're the same as normal metric fasteners, but it does affect the nut, bolt head, and screw head sizes. For instance, a normal metric M8 nut or bolt will have a 13mm head size, take a 13mm wrench to install/remove. The J.I.S. M8 has a 12mm head or nut size. But the bigger deal here are the Phillips screws. They're not really Phillips any more and are referred to as cross-points, and they need a different type screwdriver to fit them properly. A normal Phillips doesn't fit into them very well. You may notice many of the Phillips heads on the bike are buggered up, this is why. I'm telling you all this because the throttle shafts use these J.I.S. cross-point screws to hold the butterfly plates in. On top of that, the ends of the screws are crimped or peened to prevent them from backing out .....

gZf994w.jpg

This makes them difficult to remove so I suggest getting some proper J.I.S. type screwdrivers before even attempting it. Also, the throttle shafts are made of brass so are soft. Try to remove the screw with their peened ends still intact can mess the threads up. So, I like to grind off the peened end first using a small ball cutter in a Dremel .....

FtysoZm.jpg

Also mentioned was the fact that the shaft seals can be had from Suzuki for a better price, way better now because the Yamaha price just spiked to $18, lol .....

BAtqbbx.jpg

HyQ0ryF.jpg

This Suzuki seal is the exact same part as the Yamaha one. Suzuki used very similar BS type carbs on many of their bikes.
5T are these the throttle shaft seals?

Report on Canadian shaft seal prices. Ordered from Suzuki and they wanted $5.60 per seal. Nearly a week later they advised seals were on back order for several weeks - not good. Being impatient, I cancelled the Suzuki order and inquired about Yamaha pricing and availability. They got back to me today (different dealer) and quoted me $7.99 per seal and in stock. That’s 43% more than Suzuki but not as great a differential as the US sourced parts. It will cost me $10 more for the seals but at least I should be able to get the carbs back together next week.

Yes, I installed the Suzuki seals in some BS38s just last week, same seals in some BS34s about a month ago. Over the past few years I've probably installed close to 30 of them, lol.

Hi All.
Stripped my Mikuni BS38 carbs apart this evening off of my 77 xs650, ready for the ultrasonic cleaner.
Where can I get replacement parts, and what should I replace now it’s all disassembled? And how do I learn what sizing the jets are etc.

Thanks for any help.
Pictures attached.
out of curiosity what ultrasonic cleaner do you use? I'm in the market to buy one, however haven't decided on size and brand yet, obviously need to be big enough to handle carbs, bu thinking i might as well go up a notch so i could fit a cylinder head as well.

I’m not entirely sure on the make and model of the one I’ve got. I’m borrowing it off of my friends friend. It’s not big enough to fit an entire carb in. You have to flip it over for it to do it all. I was looking on Facebook market place and found one or two for £90 that looked fairly decent. I’d just not go for on of the plastic jewellery ones, get a metal more automotive based one.

Back