BS38 swopping needle jets and jet needles

Do you use the sheets of UNI foam and if so, how do you attach it to the old filter frame? I acquired some airboxes for my '78 but have yet to try them. I bought them because they contained K&N filter elements. Those things cost near $80 a piece so I figured $30 for a complete set of airboxes AND K&N filter elements was a very good deal.

The $200 Special is completely stock at the moment and will remain that way, at first. I never drove a box stock one before, lol, and it will be interesting to see how it runs. I've had pods, different exhaust, and rejetted carbs on my '78 from day one. This Special may eventually end up that way too but it will be one change at a time so I can see the effect each has. I really do hate wresting with those airboxes, lol.

Yes mostly the 5/8"? green uni fine foam. I cut a template and end glue the foam they stuff fit in the frame pretty good, and use a bit of bell wire wrapped around it for insurance. I've had a few sets of those K&N, sold them, used the money to buy uni foam......
I think this is to fit the plastic airbox 80-up BS34 filter frames.
UNI filter cutting diagram XS650.JPG

Last edited:
I'm going to add here that during the $200 Special carb cleaning and rebuild, I replaced the butterfly shaft seals of course. I used some of these Suzuki seals and am happy to report they fit perfectly. They're probably the exact same part but they cost a little over a dollar less than the Yamaha seal .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/suzuki/S-13651-51010.html

I have several more sets of carbs that need them so I will be buying more.

Back