Buying without a title: My experience

drewfunk

Purveyor of fine flannels
Reaction score
So i took a risk a few months ago and bought a title-less XS650. Now i was told the history and was sure it wasnt stolen, so i made the purchase. I knew acquiring a title was possible but was rather clueless as to how it worked. Everything i read was either a horror story or a half assed explanation of how they did it. I finally found a thread on a PNW forum about how some people had done it in Washington. And they made it sound easy! Basically just call a state patrol office and schedule an appointment to have the VIN inspected, and if they give it the all clear you can go and get your registration.

So i made the call, and had to wait about a month to get an appointment. Today i loaded her in the back of the truck and hauled her to the state patrol inspection. They checked the VIN, checked to see if the engine matched, and ran the numbers. He told me the latest history they had on it was that it was sold a year ago. They filled out a paper saying it was all clear and i was on my way! I drove straight to a licensing office, gave them the paper and bill of sale(it didnt have to be notarized, and wasnt even required) and then they gave me my plate and registration! Easy as pie. Also, there is no mechanical inspection, so if the bike isnt complete you are still in the clear.

I also asked the VIN inspector about selling the bike before i got the title in 3 years. He said if i fill out a Release of Interest form, and filled out a notarized bill of sale, the next owner would NOT have to start the 3 year period over, the remaining period would simply be passed on to him.

All in all, a rather daunting process was extremely easy, and other than the month i had to wait for the inspection, I got the bike on the road in one day. I know the rules may vary state to state, but my experience in Washington state was extremely easy.

Here is a pic of the bike on it's way to the inspection
227980_498132773540065_1482760459_n.jpg

So i took a risk a few months ago and bought a title-less XS650. Now i was told the history and was sure it wasnt stolen, so i made the purchase. I knew acquiring a title was possible but was rather clueless as to how it worked. Everything i read was either a horror story or a half assed explanation of how they did it. I finally found a thread on a PNW forum about how some people had done it in Washington. And they made it sound easy! Basically just call a state patrol office and schedule an appointment to have the VIN inspected, and if they give it the all clear you can go and get your registration.

So i made the call, and had to wait about a month to get an appointment. Today i loaded her in the back of the truck and hauled her to the state patrol inspection. They checked the VIN, checked to see if the engine matched, and ran the numbers. He told me the latest history they had on it was that it was sold a year ago. They filled out a paper saying it was all clear and i was on my way! I drove straight to a licensing office, gave them the paper and bill of sale(it didnt have to be notarized, and wasnt even required) and then they gave me my plate and registration! Easy as pie. Also, there is no mechanical inspection, so if the bike isnt complete you are still in the clear.

I also asked the VIN inspector about selling the bike before i got the title in 3 years. He said if i fill out a Release of Interest form, and filled out a notarized bill of sale, the next owner would NOT have to start the 3 year period over, the remaining period would simply be passed on to him.

All in all, a rather daunting process was extremely easy, and other than the month i had to wait for the inspection, I got the bike on the road in one day. I know the rules may vary state to state, but my experience in Washington state was extremely easy.

Here is a pic of the bike on it's way to the inspection
227980_498132773540065_1482760459_n.jpg
Why 3 years for the title? Is it because the true owner can claim his/hers property in this time? I don't know......just asking. Seems strange to have to wait 3 years for a title of a bike you "own".

I should move to Washington! Thanks for the write up! I hate finding bikes without a title and cant even consider buying one here. Did you come across any information regarding if the bike was last registered in a state besides Washington? What if it came up from California or something?

They didnt mention that it coming up in their system from another state would be a problem, but i dont think it would. You might get charged extra because it is out of state. Also, if it hasnt been registered in 7 years it wont show up at all in their system and it wont matter.

Also, the total ammount including tax on the 600 dollar sale price was 125 bucks.

Similar system in Michigan...but its all done at the DMV, no need for an apt with the coppers.....and the DMV will even print you an instant title (for a charge) so there is no waiting period. They run a search, if its clean, you leave with a title in hand....one of the few things I love about this state.

Try doing that in NEW JERSEY i can still hear the DMV LADY laughing at the top of her lungs. YOU WANT A TITLE FOR WHAT??? 30 year old bike LAUGH LAUGH
I have a title that was scribled on and its VOID in NEW JERSEY.

Try doing that in NEW JERSEY i can still hear the DMV LADY laughing at the top of her lungs. YOU WANT A TITLE FOR WHAT??? 30 year old bike LAUGH LAUGH
I have a title that was scribled on and its VOID in NEW JERSEY.

Thats rough..and would have pissed the hell out of me. I lost my birth certificate once and was able to get a new one within about 2 minutes. In my eyes, its pretty much the same damn thing.

Hell yeah, I wonder what the process will be like in Arizona. I know its well possible, that 3 years period pretty much seems like a Bonded Title, atleast that's what the DMV hear will say. You can get your VIN ran by the State or a Third-Party Notary. Sometimes going Third-Party is easier, if your state is strict.

It use to be easy to get a title in PA NY DEL and NJ but all these crazy laws now.NJ just passed some bull about 9 digit vin numbers TOO OLD!!! and they have this program for lost title i am now in my 10th or 11th month doing that because it states that the bike needs to be inspected BUT NJ DID AWAY WITH MC INSPECTION. I need a time machine. A guy told me he got his done at a DMV in North Jersey so i packed up the bike and some cash and went to the one he said he got his done at and they looked at me like i was crazy and handed me the same papers i got and waiting on for months. All done but no one knows where it goes next. I already broke the bike down sold off all the parts and now i got a bare frame hanging in my garage just waiting to see how it goes. Just not worth it anymore when i pick up a non titled bike its cut up for parts and sold that way. They are cracking down on salvage titles too. My buddys kid has a 2004 Harley Soft Tail and tried to change the tags from ARK to NJ now he finds out the bike is stolen and he has been paying for a bike with bad numbers because it was a salvage sale. Now everyone wants the bike and the $14,000 hes got into it is lost. He has been riding this bike for three years and now it comes up stolen out of Ohio. DMV just crazy people to deal with.

So Glad I know the history on all my wheels! The XS has been in the family for 28 years. My cousin bought it at a bike shop. It was a trade in from the original owner who had just paid it off. My dad got it in a horse trade, and got the title transferred in 84, and my little brother has had it titled in his name for the last 6. I helped assemble my SV when I bought it(even un-crated it) And I rode my Road Star home from the dealership the day my Father-in-law bought it (it was raining and he wanted it home, but didn't want to drop it!) And I took title on it under the gifting laws for 25 bucks. Easier than the estate route. Don't know when I'll buy another one, but we're going to the clerk's office to do it!!!!

DMV nazis, they are just about out of control ............... There is a place in HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS that advertises for title services, they charge around $500 for a motorcycle title but if something goes wrong along the way, they get to keep the $$$ ............ I live in Tennessee and have successfully been able to get titles for motorcycles that were bought without titles, but it is a royal pain in the a--

In New Hampshire, if the vehicle is at least 15 years old, all you need to get it registered is a Billl of Sale and a VIN Verification Form. I call the local PD(think, Mayberry, RFD), they come to my home, verify and run the VIN,and if(when) it comes back clean, they issue me the VVF. I then take my BOS and VVF to Town Hall(!) where the Town Clerk issues me a Registration and plate, typically for $50 or less, depending on the value of the vehicle. My '52 Ariel Square 4 cost $29! This NH Reg can then be used to obtain a Title and Reg in any other State. Our NH plates say "Live Free or Die". They should say "Pay Fees and Drive"!. I flip 20+ bikes a year, and some of the Officers just leave me the blank forms to have filled out ahead of time! Wehn the Officer can to "inspect" the '64 Norton Atlas rolling fame, he didn't even get out of the car or call it in!

You should go into buisness and help some of us POOR MEMBERS who can't get a title to save our ass becuse we live in a screwed up state. I use to use a guy in RI but he just got tired of doing it. ITS use to use your state and they screwed that up now they are screwing up RI and can't get a title and raised there prices to $350.00 My junk man loves me because he comes and gets the frames and gets 11 cent a pound.

DaddyG et al, I don't mind registering bikes for others, because I like to see old bikes back on the road. I usually get $100 for doing this, which includes getting the VIN Verification Form and then getting it registered. I then "sell" it back to you, and you get a valid NH registration and a Bill of Sale. NH will not issue a Title for older vehicles, but you can use the NH reg and Bill of Sale to obtain one in your State. When I've done this for people in New Jersey, I've had to get the BoS notarized. My only caveat is this: If you bring me a bike that turns out to be stolen, I still get my $100 and you lose the bike. Sound fair to you? I'm in Brookline, NH, 03033. Wednesdays work best if you want "same day" service, because the Town Hall is open in the evening. Thanks, Bob B

I left out one very important detail; I must have physical posession of the bike so the Officer can physically verify the VIN, if they so choose to do so. It all depends on which Officer shows up to issue the form. Sorry.

Last edited:
DaddyG et al, I don't mind registering bikes for others, because I like to see old bikes back on the road. I usually get $100 for doing this, which includes getting the VIN Verification Form and then getting it registered. I then "sell" it back to you, and you get a valid NH registration and a Bill of Sale. NH will not issue a Title for older vehicles, but you can use the NH reg and Bill of Sale to obtain one in your State. When I've done this for people in New Jersey, I've had to get the BoS notarized. My only caveat is this: If you bring me a bike that turns out to be stolen, I still get my $100 and you lose the bike. Sound fair to you? I'm in Brookline, NH, 03033. Wednesdays work best if you want "same day" service, because the Town Hall is open in the evening. Thanks, Bob B

I left out one very important detail; I must have physical posession of the bike so the Officer can physically verify the VIN, if they so choose to do so. It all depends on which Officer shows up to issue the form. Sorry.

Could one get the VIN verified in their current state? and then send you that VIN verification slip?

Do you have to have a complete bike or just the frame. Shame you are far from me i got three right now i am sitting on. All mine have already been run threw the local FUZZ. When you got time Email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM so i can send you my number i would like to talk to you. I have used NH paper work before thats what ITS. used 15 years ago and i must have done 25 or so threw them. I use to just use my MSO's from my old dealership but that became a hassle too. I know where there are 7 XS650 bikes and the guys been bugging me to buy them and none have paperwork. THINKING NOW!!!!!
Thanks Rich

Painless in CA. I bought a bike with bill of sale only and filed for a duplicate title. Bike got registered, Got title in the mail in 2 weeks. No VIN verification needed.

Do you have to have a complete bike or just the frame. Shame you are far from me i got three right now i am sitting on. All mine have already been run threw the local FUZZ. When you got time Email me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM so i can send you my number i would like to talk to you. I have used NH paper work before thats what ITS. used 15 years ago and i must have done 25 or so threw them.
Thanks Rich

I just did a 1964 Norton Atlas that was a frame and wheels, so I imagine a bare frame is doable. I can always point to boxes in my garage and say "there's the rest of the bike".

Back