Call me crazy but…..

takehikes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1981 Special. It struck me that I might want to go backwards in time. So…..is it possible to dump the CDI ignition and go to points like earlier editions?
I know first answer will be why? mostly to get rid of a component and wiring.
So, possible?

Probably not unless your xam has finished cavities for the advance rod bushings and labyrinth seals. I have seen where people tried to force in bushing/seal in an unfinished cavity and cracked the end of the cam.

Probably not unless your xam has finished cavities for the advance rod bushings and labyrinth seals. I have seen where people tried to force in bushing/seal in an unfinished cavity and cracked the end of the cam.

yup insides of late cams are not reamed to final size to accept the advance rod bushings. So it can be done but, meh. If the TCI craps the bed, a diffrnt electronic iggy is most practical.

Hey crazy but,
In the case of a major coronal mass ejection and a resulting failure of all electronic equipment, you may be the only one in your neighborhood with a functioning motor vehicle if you go to points......
Call me Crazy but too.

The Boyer ignition rod needs to be supported by the same bushings that the breaker point advance rod uses, same issue with unfinished seats in the camshaft. Same for Tri Spark. The only camshaft driven iggy that would have let you duck that issue was Probe, which mounts the magnets on a collet that expands inside the camshaft. It's no longer available. My gut instinct would be to work the seats for the bushings with paper rolls until the bushings tap fit (not BAM! fit) into the camshaft.

And yes, you're absolutely crazy. Why else would you be here? Welcome to the asylum.

Last edited:
Back