Cam Chain Is Driving me Nuts!!

Angry Rabbit

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if its a newbie question, but is there a trick to reinstalling the cam chain if its an endless chain? I had no issues slipping the cam out when I checked the piston rings, but now I can't figure out how to get it back on. The chain doesn't appear to be binding on the lower sprocket, I've backed out the chain tensioner and I've used the acorn nuts to press down on the new gasket. I can't even get the upper sprocket centered in the head since the chain pushes it to the side. Please tell me I don't have to break the chain.......:banghead:

If it's the old original chain, you should be replacing it any way.

So this pirate walks into a bar, the bartender says "Is that a steering wheel in your pants?" The pirate replies "Yar, it's driving me nuts!"

Take a flashlight, and look down into the cam chain tunnel. If the rear tensioner guide isn't retracting all the way towards the back of the head, you'll wanna move it with a prybar/screwdriver. Sometimes in reassembly, they get stuck in a tight spot in between the cylinders...

I'm a little confused on an "endless chain". What exactly is it? Does endless mean that it is already riveted together? Explain please.

Yes. Replacements come split with a master link to rivet so you don't have to split the cases to get the chain over the crank.

Good questions/comments (and joke). My engine has very little wear on it and the cam chain looks like its new. (Most of the other components look the same.). The cam chain is the original one. (I'm embarrased to say I had to take the pistons out of the bike to get a tie wrap out.). I didn't break the chain when I pulled the cam; I just pulled the bearings off the ends and slipped it under the chain. I was under the impression the original chains were "endless" since they didn't have a rivet link in them.
Even if they do, I figured it would still be possible to slip it back on since it was there to begin with.

I've got the cam shaft bearings out to make it easier to slide the cam shaft back in under the chain. Using a wrench on the alternator, I can cycle the pistons up and down and the cam chain seems to rotate fine. Based on this, I assume it's not hung up in the guts of the engine. However, I'll give it another look tonight. I'll also try tightening down the top bolts down a bit more to see if I can compress the new gaskets. Looking at replacement cam chains at MikesXS, I may need to "gently" pry the chain back on.

Thanks again for the help!

Do the check like Punkskalar suggested. One new gasket shouldn't give ya the fits...'specially if you've got the bearings off. 'Gently' is the key word here, I doubled my head gaskets for the 8-1 compression mod, using a relativly new camchain and it was a bit of a challenge to get the chain back on, but it did go- gently being pried.

also slide it in from the left side when i put one on the same way yesterday i noticed that there was a small off set on the side of the cam sprocket. from the left side I was able to get the cam in place you have to hold the chain outward while slidin the can in place,Ed

Thanks guys-I finally figured out how to do it and it was relatively easy. With my engine on its stand, I tipped it forward so it was resting on its exhaust ports. Standing on the LHS of the bike, I installed the camshaft under the chain so that the chain was on the RHS of the sprocket. I did not install the bearings on either end of the camshaft. This gave me just enough room to start the chain on the sprocket. Using a wrench on the alternator, I slowly rotated the sprocket and the chain slipped right on.
It appears tipping the engine did the trick. Thanks again for all of your help

Back