Cam Chain Tension

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys so heres my newest issue. :( i set the cam so it was correct with the timing, that i know. but now i cant remember if i put more tension on the front of the cam chain and left slack in the back for the tensioner or not. :banghead: is there any way to check this without removing the head cover since it is already three bond sealed :/

I think what you're worrying about is a non-issue. As soon as you apply tension or pressure to the back run of the chain, the front will get pulled tight. The cam will rotate slightly in the head to allow this. To check the cam timing with the motor assembled, check out this link .....

http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming2.html

If it's off, you won't be able to fix it without removing the top cover but this will at least tell you if the cam timing is right or not.

well i know i set the cam timing right, but when i was looking in my manual it said to leave more slack in the back because that is where the tensioner goes and the front is tight. but if it is a non issue that is great. if it doesnt matter and im good to go i wont worry about it. just wanted to double check before i put the motor back in the frame. thanks for the reply though :)

After taking off the tensioner cover and adjusting the chain when putting the cover back on it disintergrated (1974 TX ). What is the best way replace it?

Last edited:
Back