Camchain Tensioner Issue

BarrieC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Afternoon Guys,
Finally got round to my top end rebuild after numerous delays -
Only one problem, my final task was to put the cap on my Cam Chain Tensioner (type D) all parts are correct as per INXS'S post in the tech section
On tightening the cap as its moving towards sealing, its meeting the adjuster and turning it (as if the cap is too small) photo below
IMG_1644.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks Barrie

I think I've heard of this issue before with the type D tensioner on a fresh build. The new cam chain is so tight, it won't allow the cap to tighten down without hitting the adjuster screw and making it tighter. Honestly, you shouldn't even try to "fix" it, just upgrade to the type E. Details on the "how and why" are here in posts 22 and 23 .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioners.1056/page-2

Maybe you can get away w putting the lock nut and washer b4 the nut off the E type. If your going to be waiting for parts anyway tho may swell change the plunger as well and just make it an official e type.

Thanks guys,
found one of the posts with a similar issue, on that one he took it for a run after rebuild and was able to adjust correctly. Totally agree with changing to type E, but in the UK parts are scarce compared to the US and no second hand Tensioners available.
Idea of locknut is good and I would guess that oil coming through the plunger hole would be minimal. obtaining correct locknut would prove difficult, but getting one that fits is possible
Also I could fillup the gap where the cap does not meet the base with fibre washers, but a locknut would be better
Any suggestions on locknut availability from the US, as worth waiting for would be welcome
Thanks
Barrie

Oh Happy Days!
had another dig through my Basket Case Boxes and found a Type E Tensioner! I cant believe i'd not seen it before!
that means I must have at least four different tensioners in various stages of assembly.
Just need to put the plunger on this one, but im pretty sure i have it and will match via the threads on here
Well happy :cheers:

Yes, the only difference between the D and E types are the plunger and the addition of the lock nut. However, I would recommend that you measure the length of your adjuster screw as that will determine which damper washer is required. The type D and early type E used a 2mm thick copper washer paired with a 60mm long adjuster screw. The late type E used a 3mm thick rubber/metal washer paired with a 59mm long screw. Yamahaxs650.com sells just the locknut .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/nut-late-cam-chain-adjuster/

..... and I was surprised to discover that XS650Direct sells the assembly .....

TypeE.jpg

https://xs650direct.com/products?show_all=true&category=83&page=2

Hi 5twins,
yep, its an early E Type, I already had 2mm copper washers for my "wrong" tensioner. Adjuster screw is spot on, so all good
Nice shiney adjuster on XS650.com, but out of stock!
Have registered with them as the cost and variety of items far exceeds what we can get over here, might be worth extra shipping costs and possible tax (fat lot of good leaving the EU did us!)
We have one site in the UK Yambits - pretty good and then Heiden Tuning in Holland, so parts can get delayed coming across the borders.

All the engine needs now is the oil feed cleaning and fitting, new stainless nuts and screws going on all the covers and then once in the frame, will fit the clutch cover with the gasket and my nice Heiden tuning paper oil filter conversion.

Oh, on another note, I had an Alloy Clutch pushrod made up, but out of 6061 not 7075 alloy, so not sure how well it will hold up, but going to give it a try as 6061 is readily available unlike 7075

Barrie

Back