cant figure this out, xs1100 need help

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, my son got a xs1100 some time back. There is a gap in the rear axle like its missing some parts.
Ive read on the xs11 site that there is a special washer? for one or the other models. He ordered a used axle and it had a spacer, nut and a seal that slips over the spacer. When he tied to use that it made his disk brake move too far out to the right side and things wont line up. I do not know if this is a special or standard bike.
From the fish file Ive seen and in the book it looks like he may be missing a part. But can not tell what it could be. But have heard about a special washer. Also about thick rubber washers inside.
Here is the dimensions of the gap we find on the right side between the brake stay bracket and the inside of the swing arm. 8.3mm or .329". Thanks for any help in the assembly. I will post a picture if any one wants to know details and can help us out.

1979 thanks for the interest. My son just told me he figured it out late last night. I do appreciate it

Hi guys, my son got a xs1100 some time back. There is a gap in the rear axle like its missing some parts.
Ive read on the xs11 site that there is a special washer? for one or the other models. He ordered a used axle and it had a spacer, nut and a seal that slips over the spacer. When he tied to use that it made his disk brake move too far out to the right side and things wont line up. I do not know if this is a special or standard bike.
From the fish file Ive seen and in the book it looks like he may be missing a part. But can not tell what it could be. But have heard about a special washer. Also about thick rubber washers inside.
Here is the dimensions of the gap we find on the right side between the brake stay bracket and the inside of the swing arm. 8.3mm or .329". Thanks for any help in the assembly. I will post a picture if any one wants to know details and can help us out.

Hi cruzin,
FYI, XS11 Standard has front axle below forks, same style front calipers as XS650, rectangular gages, flush filler cap 20 liter gas tank & 17" rear wheel.
XS11 Special has front axle at front of forks, swiveling tapered-pad front calipers, round gages, raised filler cap 15 liter gas tank & 16" rear wheel.
Unlike the XS650 the frames are identical and either can be converted to the other by swapping parts around.
It's also possible to reduce an XS11's steering trail by mix'n'matching a Standard's triple trees and a Special's fork legs for sidecar use.

Thanks guys with all the info. The difference of the front fork axle placement is like that of my xj Maxim vs Seca.
From the book he has(Clymer) manual the picture is terrible but on page 1 of chapter 9 rear suspension and final drive you can not tell from the assembly picture but page 3 clearly shows a different coloured axle spacer that sits next to the torque plate that we dont have. He ordered a used axle because he thought it had the parts he needed on it. But the shaft collar was wider than what came with the bike and when he used that one it put the brake calliper out of alignment with the disk. The warning on the first page tells dont loose the axle spacer. The book he has names the parts on the right side thus. 1 rear axle, 2 torque plate, 3 collar, 4 shaft collar, 5 oil seal, 6 circlip. It has not been apart farther than that.
who ever drew the parts did a poor job in my opinion. and when talking about the parts it says dont loose the axle spacer, and the parts does not call anything a axle spacer.
Trying to sort it out. thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Thanks guys with all the info. The difference of the front fork axle placement is like that of my xj Maxim vs Seca.
From the book he has(Clymer) manual the picture is terrible but on page 1 of chapter 9 rear suspension and final drive you can not tell from the assembly picture but page 3 clearly shows a different coloured axle spacer that sits next to the torque plate that we dont have. He ordered a used axle because he thought it had the parts he needed on it. But the shaft collar was wider than what came with the bike and when he used that one it put the brake calliper out of alignment with the disk. The warning on the first page tells dont loose the axle spacer. The book he has names the parts on the right side thus. 1 rear axle, 2 torque plate, 3 collar, 4 shaft collar, 5 oil seal, 6 circlip. It has not been apart farther than that.
who ever drew the parts did a poor job in my opinion. and when talking about the parts it says dont loose the axle spacer, and the parts does not call anything a axle spacer.
Trying to sort it out. thanks for all the help.

Hi cruzin,
the book is Clymer M411? The drawing is on the second page (pp 215) of chapter nine and the photo is #5 overleaf on page 216?
Oh yes, drafting & photography lessons needed there. eh?
My best guess is that the "axle spacer" shown in photo #5 is the "collar" (item 3) shown in drawing #1.
And a better class of editing needed too as synonyms (spacer/collar/sleeve/etc.) for the same part ain't always helpful.
You haven't said if the bike is a Standard or a Special and the book gives different torque numbers for the two versions.
Plus there may be subtle differences between the mounting hardware of the Standard's 17" rear wheel and the Special's 16"
rear wheel that make a hardware mix'n'match put the rear brake caliper out of alignment.
And if you get that far into it that you check out bearing (item 17) and find you need a replacement, nobody makes 'em any more.
The best chance is to ask on the XS11.com site to see if someone has an extra.
Best sign up there anyway as although we are all willing to help as we can, there's more help available there than there is here.

I usually use online part supplier's diagrams instead of the Haynes or Clymer manuals. In addition to being able to zoom in, you also have a parts list right there. Here's a decent reference.

1979 XS1100 Standard: https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100-1979-usa_model8716/partslist/F-08.html#results
1979 XS1100 Special: https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100s-1979-usa_model8717/partslist/G-02.html#results

You should be able to identify the missing part from the corresponding diagram, and then you'll have the OEM part number as a reference which should help find a replacement. You can also search by this part number to see what other models the part was used on.

The left side of the axle appears to be identical on both. The right side: the standard has two collars then an oil seal, whereas the special has a collar, a dust cover/spacer, and then an oil seal. Hopefully these diagrams help you find the missing part(s)! Knowing what's missing is half the battle. Finding it somewhere is the other half. Good luck!

Back