can't get my 82 gas cap back together...

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi

I replaced a badly worn out gas cap seal with a new one from MikesXS. The new one seems to be much bigger when installed compared to the old one, and I am unable to close the cap even with a lot of pressure. But maybe it needs to break in and compress over time?

The additional challenge I am having is that I cannot get the latch mechanism to work properly.

1) The key mechanism seems to have lost its "spring" - the action of being able to press the key in to turn and lock the cap. This loss of "springiness" is regardless of whether I have the unit assembled or not.

2) When i have the cap / key assembly together, I cannot turn the key to the right - and again no ability to press the lock mechanism in which may be the issue?

Before I took it apart, the springiness was there. So I probably messed something up.

Does anyone have an idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2628.JPG
    IMG_2628.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2632.JPG
    IMG_2632.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Take the two screws out, use your thumb to hold the latch in the open position, slide the piece with the screw holes up to where you can insert the screws again. The springiness is there when you hold the latch in the open position.
Might have to hold your tongue a certain way for it to all go back together.

That worked perfectly NJ1639. Got it all back in shape, thank you! And yes I was making some faces while manipulating the parts back into place. Still have some dexterity left in the digits it seems ��

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 156
Yes it's one of those, theirs a "trick to this" deals. Every time I replace a seal I have to relearn it, If I just had three hands! There's a standard out there now that needs the new seal.

Thanks again Gents. Worked like a charm. Now Hopefully the tank still vents with the new seal! The holes are there but it is tight.

Good caution, the leaky seal is often covering up for plugged cap vents. Clearing and enlarging the vents a bit is the main reason I pull the caps apart.

Back