Carb leaking from outlet on the bottom

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unsure of the carbs I think b38 mikunis but can't say fir certain , both carbs have small outlets and only one side leaks fuel not sure if I should just plug them or what any help is appreciated ( the small brass at the bottom)

Attachments

• 16585305927714105682264745136307.jpg
    16585305927714105682264745136307.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 103
I don't know what those carbs are but I can tell you they're not original 650 carbs. That small brass nipple on the bottom of the float bowl is the outlet for the overflow pipe inside the bowl. DON'T PLUG IT. If fuel is coming out of it, that means the fuel level in that bowl is rising too high. Either the floats are set wrong, or maybe they're going bad (taking in gas), or your float needle and seat assembly is leaking.

I don't know what those carbs are but I can tell you they're not original 650 carbs. That small brass nipple on the bottom of the float bowl is the outlet for the overflow pipe inside the bowl. DON'T PLUG IT. If fuel is coming out of it, that means the fuel level in that bowl is rising too high. Either the floats are set wrong, or maybe they're going bad (taking in gas), or your float needle and seat assembly is leaking.
theyre bs38 , i was told that they are the float bowl drain outlet and there is a screw to close it

That large flanged bolt is the drain for the bowls. And that's how I know they aren't Yamaha carbs, they never had a large drain bolt like that. Suzuki carbs did though, so maybe that's what they're from.

That large flanged bolt is the drain for the bowls. And that's how I know they aren't Yamaha carbs, they never had a large drain bolt like that. Suzuki carbs did though, so maybe that's what they're from.
i think theyre from a suzuki 400? Never fixed a float how would i know if its that? it doesnt always drip gas out kinda seems random, idk if its when it gets flooded

theyre bs38 , i was told that they are the float bowl drain outlet and there is a screw to close it
With that type large flanged bolt (likely 17mm wrench) in center, there will be no drain screw to operate the overflow outlet as a drain. If you remove the float bowl, there should be a brass tube that goes from that outlet upward to near the bowl's gasket surface. If you're getting leaking at that outlet it is a float/float valve issue as 5Twins stated or the brass tube is somehow compromised . Could be another OEM carb by Mikuni, could be a copy. The problem to address is still as 5Twins says, regardless. They are not OEM Yamaha BS38 and not OEM BS34 (that do have a horizontal drain screw, but no flange bolt).

i think theyre from a suzuki 400? Never fixed a float how would i know if its that? it doesnt always drip gas out kinda seems random, idk if its when it gets flooded
Remove the float bowl and clean the float valve and seat, inspect the float for leaks, the tube for damage or leaks. Without knowing the exact carb application the float level is a guess, but the float arm is typically parallel with the gasket surface with carb upside down and the arm resting on the float valve pin.

Back