Carbs rebuilt now overflowing......

connor1

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Poorly idling bike, looked into the carbs and they were dirty so I got some rebuild kits from Mikes and rebuilt them. Now both carbs are overflowing within 2 seconds of turning on the gas. When I first took off the bowl to see what was up, the bowl was dry....floats are intact flange is set at 25mm. I can blow air thru the fuel line into the bowl provided. I plug the overflow tube so I know the valve is not blocked...now the bowl is getting some gas, but I don't think these carbs should overflow like this...

Overflowing from the air filters.....air box.....??? Which model carbs??? Different float settings for different carbs.

Overfloowing is typical of 3 things. Floats set incorrectly,.....too much fuel in the bowl.... needle not seating properly,....crud on the seat......, or gas getting around the needle seat oring, typically old dry orings.

I did see you used the kit, still helps to know the carb model.

These are bs 38 off of a xs2. left side carb has enricher arm that links to the right side carb and there is some sort of balancing tube between the two carbs This overflowing from the overflow tube did not happen before I "rebuilt" them. I would sometimes get some overflow, but this is a steady stream that is happening as the float bowl fills up.

Wow I need some fresh air...gas fumes too much....

Oops, I think that maybe those are not the overflow tubes but fuel line nipples that are suppose to connect from one carb to the other......hmmmm

The over flows are on the bottom of the bowls. As you said, you have a choke hose going between the two in the front. Then there are some air intake barbs up towards the top. Then there is the gas line link that connects the carbs together in the rear. This isn't the line you are talking about is it.

tx750motor_zpsfc0ac73d.jpg

Back